Slack in new panhard bushes.

jericho

Panhard bushes are worn,so ordered new bushes and bolts from paddocks.Got the Metalastic ones rather than the cheapies.

However,the new bolts rattle in the bushes.They seam more slack than I think they should be - but what do I know?

The bolts measure 13.7mm , the bushes measure 14.3mm inside - thats 0.5mm slack.

When you take the two bushes into account thats 1mm of play without considering the play in the axle/chassis brackets.

The movement in my worn panhard is only about 1.5mm,but it is enough to make a nasty 'Clunk'.

I went to the local LR parts supplier and bought another two bolts - they measure 13.6mm!

So,is this amount of slack acceptible?

The inner tube of the bush is clamped by the bracket it fits into. Rubber allows movement between the outer of the bush and the inner. The bolt is supposed to be a clearance fit through the inner tube. It provides the clamping force - it is not meant to be an interference fit in the tube.

If you tighten the bolts as the previous poster says that should hold the bushes in place. With new bushes you should be able to sit in the drivers seat and wobble the steering and the front of the car will not move. If the front moves from side to side then the bushes are soft or worn. You may not notice soft bushes in UK but on harsher African roads it is an issue.

Broadly speaking with all structural bolted joints, the bolt should clamp the part together creating friction between the components. It is this firction that prevents the parts sliding against each other. The parts should not push aginst the shank of the bolt, if they are free to slide against the bolt then this can cause rapid wear of the parts and the bolt. Tightening bolted joints to the required torque is esential to prevent damage.

If you remove a bolt out of a suspension bush and find wear on it then something is a miss.

When assembling vehicles, even the self tapping screws holding the dash together will have a specified torque to be done up to, though from a design point of view they may not be classed as structural.