Webasto thermo top C in a TD5

isbjorn

wrt to the fuel pickup there is another way (2 in fact):

- The Winterised Wolf uses a pipe from one of the Fuel Sedimentor blanking plugs to draw off fuel - ie no requirement to drop the tank, feed in a standpipe etc!

- Before I discovered the above... I couldnt be arrsed to drop the tank so did it differently: put a Non Return Valve in the spill return line and AFTER the NRV put a T-piece to the heater... thus with engine off the heater draws up the spill return line FROM THE TANK (assumes the spill return is in fact a standpipe) and with the engine running spilt fuel returns to tank AND feeds the heater. It's not quite 'by the book' and may cause one or two flameouts when heater is cold but once warmed up my heater has been fine (sufficient heat to auto ignite fuel after a moment of starvation. As well as being easier to rig it also means I only need to crack off the line at the heater pump and run the engine at idle and it self primes!

(not sure if NRV required but wanted to ensure no danger of pulling diesel out of pump (shouldn't be as no direct line less injector spring overcome? and more particulaly wanted to ensure flowmeter in spill line remained unaffected.)

You've got mail :)

Must be the end of summer, I've been asked about installing these 3 times today!

don't know if this is any good but have fitted a rover 75 heater have made my own loom with a simple on off switch and a single channel remote kit from maplins found some good wiring and info on reedex and the rover 75 forums.

post-11006-0-34302200-1315167760_thumb.jpg

post-11006-0-04413700-1315167786_thumb.jpg

post-11006-0-29491500-1315167813_thumb.jpg

post-11006-0-76242500-1315167833_thumb.jpg

post-11006-0-25819300-1315167858_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

looking at installing latest e-bay gamble which is a Webasto Thermotop DW50 - I managed to get the whole gubbins including complete wiring loom, timer/controller and instruction manual.

I'm a little confused as the installation instructions seem to indicate that I should use a 2mm diameter fuel hose to supply the heater but the fuel inlet and outlet are 8mm - Anyone able to confirm that I can just run all fuel lines in 8mm as per the rest of the trucks fuel system?

Cheers,

Dave.

The fuel line used is normally 2mm i/d clear nylon thickwalled tube, which clamps up nicely inside a short piece of rubber fuel line used as a joiner.

Clear line is useful for spotting airlocks.

I don't know if the pump gets fussy if a large bore pipe is used, but it might.

Thanks TSD -

Manual says small bore pipe to avoid air locks/bubbles - so makes sense. I'd just expect the heater connections to be smaller than 8mm.

I was planning to split the fuel pick up somewhere before the lift pump in the engine bay - so I guess I can just get a reducing T and run the line to the heater in a smaller bore. I think the LR fuel line is 8mm?

Dave.