TD5 bonnet alignment

GL88

Is there any way to adjust the height of the bonnet at the bulkhead end? Currently mine sits too close to the wings at the rear and tends to rub/rattle on them (with the inevitable destructive consequences). The only adjustment seems to be at the leading edge with the screw/locknut/rubberbuffer arrangement and the gap at that end is already too big which hasn't resolved the problem at the opposite end. I can't see any obvious adjustment other than with a hammer - do the hinges bolt through the bulkhead somehow?

Is there any way to adjust the height of the bonnet at the bulkhead end? Currently mine sits too close to the wings at the rear and tends to rub/rattle on them (with the inevitable destructive consequences). The only adjustment seems to be at the leading edge with the screw/locknut/rubberbuffer arrangement and the gap at that end is already too big which hasn't resolved the problem at the opposite end. I can't see any obvious adjustment other than with a hammer - do the hinges bolt through the bulkhead somehow?

Take the plastic slotted bushes out of the receiver part of the hinge, which are on the bulkhead, and turn them round, you'll notice the slot is offset.

The hinges are welded to the bulkhead, there are no screws offering adjustment.

HTH

Mark

I had a similar problem with my elderly 300Tdi hard top, especially when I put chequerplate on the wings (ssh don't tell the purists) I found I couldn't do much with the hinges so, as I couldn't lift the bonnet I lowered the wings! Not as dramatic as it sounds, just loosened the mounts at the the back of the wings where they go onto the bulkhead and just pushed the back of the wing down and tightened them up. Problem solved!

Malcolm

Thanks all for your contributions. The plastic bushes are, indeed, asymmetric but mine are already in the 'high' position and not appreciably worn. But now that I've looked again there is quite a lot of clearance to the wing (nearly a centimeter) and I think that the contact between wing and bonnet might have been in in the past when the vehicle spent more time on rough roads.