General SAG Crossply

jake bullet

Ok - a daft question - why do you want them specifically?

I used to run them, and whilst they're not bad off road, they're absolutely lethal on the road if the road is even slightly damp, and they howl worse than Simex!!!

IMHO there are better options out there these days - they stopped making them for a reason!

Jon

Ok - a daft question - why do you want them specifically?

I used to run them, and whilst they're not bad off road, they're absolutely lethal on the road if the road is even slightly damp, and they howl worse than Simex!!!

IMHO there are better options out there these days - they stopped making them for a reason!

Jon

AGREED!..

I ran on some 7.50 SAG's for a week (My Avon rangemasters were punctured).. And after coming off a huge roundabout at 25mph (Same as I did everyday on Avon rangemaster 7.50s and Pirelli Scorpion MT's).. They rolled so bad that I ended up coming off my exit on the oposite side of the road and couldnt control it!.. And it was in the dry and they were the correct pressures!

They are trueley awful tyres on the road.. Albeit I was driving a 90 with them fitted and the 7.50 Avons which I compared them too are radials.

If its on a weekend/Show motor which you dont plan to drive around daily then they will be fine.. But if they are for the road and you plan to do some serious miles.. Dont bother!.. I reccomend AVON Rangemasters.. Brilliant all round tyres! Plus AVON's are Radials so give better road handling.

Useful info guys, I'll need to have a think about this one. It's not going to do a lot of distance, I have a JEEP for that.. ha ha.. I'll probably get shot for that one.

Still, maybe a different tyre is called for. I had previously considered just getting a whole new set anyway.

They were for a while reproduced as Mud Pluggas. I do not know if these are still available. If you want a similarly aggressive tyre of similar vintage, then you could look towards Goodyear Extra Grip (no longer manufactured I think?). Deestone made a copy of the Extra Grip, and another firm is now producing them under the name of Security tyres.

Having experienced the Deestones on my 88, they are considerably noisy. As are SAGs with my brief experiences with them, although I believe that Mud Pluggas are radials and don't appear to be quite as noisy (anyone confirm about them being radials?).

The handling characteristics are liveable, you just have to drive accordingly to the conditions. For a short while I had my Deestone tyres slightly overinflated for running unladen. Reducing the pressures to 25psi improved the handling a lot. It could still be a bit skittish in the wet however, and any attempt at driving the vehicle like a modern car in heavy rain would be an experience one would not want to repeat!

Briefly, the SAG/MudPlugga/Deestone type tyres are:

Noisy,

A bit slippy in the wet,

Very cheap (£50 a corner for new Deestones IIRC),

Good in the mud,

Used by the MoD for many years before they took on coil sprung 90s and 110s,

Have the "classic look".

But having said this, if I were to do considerable road mileage then I would look towards an alternative tyre, if just for the fact that they're so noisy!

That's my take on it anyway. :)

• 1 month later...

Take the horror stories with a pinch of salt. I've had SAG's on mine for years, and not had any bad experiences with them.

IMG_0213.jpg

They are awesome off road. On road they can be a interesting in the wet, but only if you drive like a c**t, or there's diesel on the road. I spend some of my spare time drifting powerful rear drive cars, and I find getting a SWB sideways fun, but I have only ever gone sideways when provoking it, it's never happened unexpectedly.

I haven't noticed that they're particularly noisy either, unlike some others who have posted o this thread.

All in all, I'm very happy with them, and would recommend them to anyone.

Effortless.

Are your SAGs radial tyres? How much were they?

I must also say, I like the look of your Land Rover.

Hi Rich,

very kind of you to say so. The SAG's are crossplies, and I love 'em, in case anyone has doubts!!

Effortless.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the other photo Nicks90... a good illustration.

Perhaps I should add that the SAT is also a directional tyre, and you can see why from Nicks photo. That means that if you're running on your spare, you shouldn't really run them for a long time if it's on the wrong side (any spare can only be right for one side of the vehicle).

Cheers,

Effortless.