greasing propshaft joints

fender1234

When tryiing to grease my rear propshaft which has thin (75mm) uj's i find the head of my grease gun wont fit between the yokes, i tryed grinding down the head of the gun but that didnt work, the only thing i can think of is to fit some stupidly long grease nipples.

Does anyone else have this problem and is there a solution?

I have one from Wanner, it was my dads who got it from a careful lady owner. Never had a problem with not getting between the yokes. Mine is similar to 30955 at the top of the page. Probably 50 years old and still working perfectly. Easily pumps grease to sufficient pressure to blow the old stuff out past the roller bearing seals. Occasionaly it sticks on the nipple, but releasing one of the bleeds on the gun and wiggling releases it.

I have the large type of grease gun that won't fit with the prop fitted, but fortunately I have a smaller one that was part of the Series 1 tool kit, which does the job nicely. Longer nipples ph34r.gif will cure the problem.

Les.

For me buggering the grease gun end has never been an option..... No the Wanner end does not fot in eiither.

You have two alternatives.

Lift the chassis so that the axles are on full drop. The gun I'm told then fits...

Go to Difflock and order some long grease nipples. There are two different thread sizes. So get one or two of each.

I take the grease nipple out after I've greased the u/j and fot an Allen screw to close the hole. You will need to know which size thread you have, then go to your fastener supplier and ask for the Allen screw.

HTH

Look for an old type grease gun, before they fitted the pump action handle to the side of them. I have one put aside just for doing this job, and the end is small enough to get in with room to spare. I say old-type, but its not an old one, its only a year or too. To operate it, you fill it up with grease, and then just lean on the end, and it forces the grease out the fitting.

hi

i have both a draper grease gun and a John Deere one both have no problem getting to the grease nipples, i may just have different props to you guys but as far as i know they're standard i just jack one wheel up on each axle so i can turn the prop to the right place.

HTH

matt

hi

i have both a draper grease gun and a John Deere one both have no problem getting to the grease nipples, i may just have different props to you guys but as far as i know they're standard i just jack one wheel up on each axle so i can turn the prop to the right place.

HTH

matt

Matt. Read my reply u/j's

mike

The best method is to use a grease gun needle nozzle, just like a needle for a syringe, push the sprung ball in the nipple with the needle and pump the grease gun. Has a low flow rate but you only need a small amount for each UJ. No problem with access, standard part in a pro's tool kit.

Try our old favourite eblag and type in 'grease gun needle nozzle'............

Dave

The best method is to use a grease gun needle nozzle, just like a needle for a syringe, push the sprung ball in the nipple with the needle and pump the grease gun. Has a low flow rate but you only need a small amount for each UJ. No problem with access, standard part in a pro's tool kit.

Dave

More tools to buy :o

mike

Dave

This seems a good idea i will have a look for one.

Getting longer grease nipples is also a good idea but difflock only stock one type so is it a one sizes fits all?

• 2 weeks later...