200 tdi water pump

Hi All, Had been noticing for the last couple of weeks that coolant has been dripping from the water pump on my 92 200 tdi 110. Have been keeping a eye on it, but when i got home today it was really poring out. It appears to be coming from the centre. Is it best to replace the the entire pump, or can they be refurbed?? If replacing whats good and whats not, seen them priced from £120 to £30. Any advice is well appreciated. Have tried searching the tech archive and there doesn't seem to be anything on this.

Cheers Rustynuts.

I don't think the water pump is serviceable. Therefore, you will have to replace it.

As regards which one to fit, don't fit Br*tpart. Other than that I think £130 seems very expensive, there must be much cheaper good quality alternatives out there. Look for OE supplier quality.

Regarding the viscous fan coupling, you probably need to get the correct spanner, there is a 32mm and a 36mm, I think it may be the bigger of the 2 which fits the defender but I couldn't swear to it, :rolleyes: .

HTH

Mark.

It's the 32mm on a defender. Buy this one, or similar (I found on in Halfords) Viscous fan spanner

BTW I think that I have just fitted a britpart item (paddocks...The one I bought...? THIS IS A 300TDI ITEM 200tdi), and compared to the old one, it was the same. Can't comment on bearing life tho' i s'pose.

The viscous fan thread is backwards, tap spanner with a hammer With the belt still on then always replace the belt, just to do things right...

• 2 weeks later...

Well hit a snag, the usual seized bolts on the water pump, top three. Don't want to force them to much, as can't bare to shear them.

Any advice? Normally I would apply some heat to a seized bolt, would it be ok to use this method on the water pump?

Cheers Rusty

I've made it into an annual workshop job on my 200Tdi, replacing the timing belt and water pump as default. Dayco belt and non genuine pump, if needed I do fit a new OEM tensioner too and genuine oil seals for camshaft, crank and cover. For refitting I do use a flexible sealant (black).

I've been lucky: http://www.marcodela...00tdi-defender/ (my blog)

belt-1.jpg

This year I've also replaced all front cover + water pump bolts. They are cheap to buy an replacing them will make it much easier to dismantle the cover and pump next time.

I do advice to invest into a good quality torque wrench.

Cheers

Marco

Hi again, thanks for your replies Les and Marco. still struggling to get the bolts out! :o Any more suggestions? They are really seized. Will it be ok to apply some heat?? And if one of them does shear off, do i need to drill the remaining bolt out and use a thread extractor?? Thanks in advance. :blink:

Suggest to start with soaking in WD40 or similar. You can try heat not sure if that will work, never needed it myself. They are screwed into the cast iron engine block and that's were they normally seize. Length about 80 ~ 100mm (by head). If they shear of that's going to be a problem, depending on where they sheer off. Not sure about the strength of the bolts think they 8.8 or stronger/higher. .

Cheers

Marco

Have been soaking it for the last couple of days with WD40. It's the top three bolts that are the problem, two of them have open backs and these seem to be well and truely fast, the other is top right bolt, this seems to go in to the block. Can't comment on the latter but the other two bolts must only be 50mm max in length if that! It's always the simple things that are the biggest hassle. Has anyone had similar troubles? Cheers :huh: