R380 short shaft

kkk2

After having input shaft failure on my lt77 this morning, I was wondering what is the availability of short shaft R380's, what were they fitted to an what model number should I be on the look out for, or are these gearboxes as rare as rocking horse poo?

Thanks

Ok on another tack, is the only difference between a standard R380 and the short shaft version the lenght of the input shaft? and following on from that is this shaft available and how hard a job would it be to fit? K

Ok on another tack, is the only difference between a standard R380 and the short shaft version the lenght of the input shaft? and following on from that is this shaft available and how hard a job would it be to fit? K

Yes, essentially that is the only difference but if you are replacing an lt77 with a short shaft R380 you also need the accompanying (shorter) bellhousing because the box is 30mm longer than the lt77.

The parts needed to convert an R380 are: pinion, bellhousing, front housing and clutch fork pivot (Ashcroft, 2009).

Jon.

They were fitted to a handful of 2.5 naturally asthmatic engines built in the 1995 model year (i.e. when the 300Tdi/R380 was introduced) and I think mainly as special order for export markets - we have a few here (probably about half a dozen) which are 2.5NA/R380 from the factory.

Mostly bought by people who "didn't want one of those new fangled turbocharged things because everybody knows turbos are unreliable" and now mostly replaced by Tdis :)