200tdi getting too hot

Hi there, i have a 1992 200tdi 90 and recently every so often (so not all the time) the temp gauge goes right up to the end of the white, it happened firstly when doing the 20 minuite drive back from work and then it was fine the next day but did it again the next day, after i dropped a mate off at their house.

I have been offroading alot recently and thought it could be mud clogging the rad, i did clean it once already but it could need doing again. I also thought there could be an internal blockage somewhere but thought i would be better off posting it on here before forking out.

some advice please :)

ethan

Properly check the radiator, which really means removing it. If it's the original rad then the cores and fins will be well passed their best. Mine had had enough a couple of years ago.

Waving a hose at it from the front isn't the answer. Usually the worst corrosion is on the back, at the bottom.

Can you tie down the overheating to any particular driving style? The radiator failing will usually show itself during reasonably prolonged high(er..) speeds, or when coming to a stop after said speeds, like at dual carriage way traffic lights etc.

It could well be the original rad and it does happeen after runs for around 20 mins at about 60 mph ive only ever notice it go up when im at stand still so it looks like a new rad then.

are they expansive?

It's almost certainly the rad. Mine had the exact same symptoms. Take the fan cowl off and have a look at the fins as Luke says, chances are there'll be a lot of them missing.

Radiators are around £100 IIRC.

Mark.

Cheers will have a look at rad after having some food.

i looked on paddocks for a rad and its nearly £300 which needless to say is very expensive, there is one on ebay but it shows a discovery part number will it still fit?

ALso, when rads go wrong, they can do some expensive damage. IMO, best to avoid secondhand unless you know and trust the person you are buying from esp since you can pick up a new one at around £100. See my link above - same place as landymanluke mentioned in his post.

had the same prob with mine rad looked ok but bitt the bullit and got myself a allisport one now i can sit on the motorway at 75 and temp stays at 76 all the time.

I presume you're using an aftermarket gauge to get these precise figures. Mine was showing 83 to 86 just before my head gasket went. Once I've got the head sorted will fit a new rad and see if it makes any difference.

Mark