1996 Disco 300 TDI loss of power

andyl0183

Hi,

I have a 300 TDI Disco thats seems to have no guts in it. Its fine on the flat or down hill but as soon as you show it an incline (you could even include speed bumbs!) it just cant handle it and slows right down. It has a de-cat down pipe fitted with the centre silencer removed and the EGR has also been removed and blanked off with the intercooler cleaned.

Any ideas?

Yep this disco doesnt have a sedimenter. I changed the fuek filter and no change. The lift pump is fairly new but it is a britpart and I have heard some bad stories about them so I ordered a delphi lift pump to give a bit of piece of mind. The exhaust was a home made concoction with just a back box and de-catted, it was really noisy, I have now replaced with a proper system although its still without the cat and sounds loads better. I also got a boost gauge to see what the turbo was doing. I went out this morning to fit it and noticed that the turbo had obviously been doing nothing as the actuator arm was disconected from the waste gate! I have reconected it but need to get hold of a new clip to hold it on, however I now have the power that I was expecting.

Does anyone know where you can get replacement clips for the actuator arm?

wow, how did someone never notice that lack of power...

good find mate.

maybe it was diconnected for a reason too, perhaps it is trout, oils seals etc. worth keeping an eye on oil appearing around your charge cooler(bottom where it would well up), and oil level in engine, even the turbine might have awfull carp on its turbines and colour of the exhaust smoke. maybe worth checking waste gate works as it shold too...

regards

richard