200tdi Disco eng in a 90

mel

I'm fitting a Disco 200tdi into my 90 (occassionally between other stuff like work and decorating) and am looking at turning the Turbo round to then use a 300tdi intercooler pipe.

I think i've read about this being done somewhere but couldn't find it so has anyone got any advice pls ?

Thank's,

Mark

I'm fitting a Disco 200tdi into my 90 (occassionally between other stuff like work and decorating) and am looking at turning the Turbo round to then use a 300tdi intercooler pipe.

I think i've read about this being done somewhere but couldn't find it so has anyone got any advice pls ?

Thank's,

Mark

Hi Mark I am doing exactly the same (inbetween the work/decorating bit)

Was told the same thing the other night about turning the turbo round or even fitting a 300tdi turbo instead but have not actully seen it done or had it confermed by anyone who has done this,

So come on guys tell us how its done, pics wouild be even better

Mark where are you located ?

Thanks

John

Seem to recall a thread on here about it at some point and the conclusion IIRC was that it was probably as much hassle and money in the end as using the steve parker conversion for the exhaust and the original turbo setup.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies so far as altho i'd heard/read/been told about turning the Turbo i only looked at this briefly the other night and to be honest it didn't look too much hassle and the only bit, and i wouldn't even call it that difficult, was the drilling and tapping of one of the waste gate brkt bolts which alter due to turning the Turbo round.

Yes, there are kits out there which inc the downpipe and all the hoses and pipework etc, i've bought a Steve Parker downpipe myself, i have a 300tdi intercooler pipe which i thought i'd look at using and it saves me having to buy anything else plus i'd like the job to look more of a std fitment (altho its obv not)as i've gone to the trouble of drilling and counterboring the flywheel housing, tapping the bellhousing, replacing the crank seals front and back, changing the cambelt and tensioner, replacing the spigot bush and a couple of other bits i can't remember .

From what i saw the other night when i looked at it quickly, roughly holding the 300 intercooler pipework in position it seemed to look more like it was meant to be there rather than pieces of hose, tubing and jubilee clips and it also avoids another option which has been suggested of cutting the inner wing.

So going back to the original question, has anyone done it this way pls ?

Thank's,

Mark

Hi Anderzander,

What do you mean by "clocking" the Turbo ?

I mean rotating it, upwards i think, through 90 degrees, is this right and i saw about the drilling and tapping but what clip do you mean pls ?

Thank's,

Mark

You can rotate the compressor side of the turbo. Unbolt the wastegate actuator (2 x 10mm head bolts). The alloy compressor housing is held to the turbo main body by a big Circlip (there's also a very thin O-ring in there). Release the clip, rotate the housing to the position you want it to be, then replace the clip. Drill and tap 2 new holes for the actuator bracket and the jobs done.

Les.

You can rotate the compressor side of the turbo. Unbolt the wastegate actuator (2 x 10mm head bolts). The alloy compressor housing is held to the turbo main body by a big Circlip (there's also a very thin O-ring in there). Release the clip, rotate the housing to the position you want it to be, then replace the clip. Drill and tap 2 new holes for the actuator bracket and the jobs done.

Les.

Cheers Les,

Thanks for that as when i took the turbo off and looked at it i thought i'd get away with only having to drill and tap one of the brkt bolts as when i turn it it'll effectively just move up a hole but i'll offer it up and have a good look at it either later today or tomorrow.

I must also say that i've read and used some of your excellent technical write ups, thanks !

Thank's,

Mark