Alternator Options?

Hi all

Well my truck is now re-loomed, dash rebuilt and lots of other bits and now I am turning to the alternator. Its been declared dead and i fancy the chance to upgrade a bit from the cheapo 45amp one I have as at some point I fancy buying a winch and maybe sticking some more lights and toys on board...

So its a standard 200 tdi defender (1993) and I have been looking on wood auto supplies and found that the usual one could be uprated using one of theirs to 70 amps. Woods Autos Selection

However I have come across mention that the 80 amp job (Magneti_Marelli-_A133) from the 3.5 V8 in the RRC fits straight in and that it is also a tough old thing that doesn't mind getting a bit muddy from time to time as much as lesser ones? Is this correct and if so will ordering this one be fair idea?

Paddocks Link to the Alternator

Many thanks

Andy

I got an 70 amp alternator from the scrappy for £20 or so, with a warranty.

Take your old one down to your local place and ask them for the biggest output machine which will match the fitment. Mine's from a Metro I think, part number ADU9670 (which is in the list on the Wood Autos site you linked).

Edit: Just to add, I would never buy a 'new' alternator for an off-roader. They don't like being dunked repeatedly in muddy water and tend to die faster than usual. Hence buying from the scrappy.

Cheers for the response, read the other post and a few others I found and it looks like all sorts of things can fit! In the short term I have ordered from Woods Autos as it will arrive tomorrow and fit and has warrenty and all that. Also really need to be able to drive in the dark!!

The only scrappy that is local is pretty rubbish and I don't really like handing money over to them and since the truck is off the road and time limited getting out to a good one is more hassle than I want but thanks for the idea.

Longer term will keep researching as to what to use and then keep the new Woods one as a spare in the truck. Looking at the Marelli one from the 300tdi as a good option as have heard good things about the build quality, the output and they appear to be quite straight forward to fit on.

A really large one would not work in the stock location do to the belt arrangement. There is not anough belt wrap to drive a really large alternator. 100 Amp is about as big as that location could take.

If you do not have anything in the air conditioning pump location, you could mount any large alternator there with its own belt.