Homebrew 8274 twinmotor and a 200A alternator

Soren Frimodt

Am I right in seeing a stock motor on your baby 8274? If so a 12V Bowmotor (1 or 2) would be a significant upgrade but both would also be significantly heavier.

Bow1's are available in 12 and 24V, but Bow2's are only available in 12V from what I can see on their site....

Yeah that's a stock 24v motor which, as I mentioned before, works quite a lot better than a stock 12v. But yes It came with that one, and apart from needing some new brushes its in an okay shape. I would imagine that a 12v Bow2 would be slightly faster than this one, but not overwhelming, and torque would be about the same I would think. Haven't seen a Bow2 here in Denmark yet though so comparing to my experiences with an XP 12v motor.

Nearly!

Si

Me and Mocha have been looking into brushless as we think it would be better, and you can have variable speed with it too (although most of the time flat out would be used :P ) He has just got an 8274 for his truck so in a bit when funds have re-couped we may be trying this out. A few bits and bobs to consider first, mainly finding or making a controller for it, we plan on keeping it 12volt so this makes it a bit more difficult and we may have to go 24 or use an inverter and go the full 240 :( This is the going to be the biggest challenge I think, it cant just use solenoids

A rough cost estimation is around £800 for the parts, maybe a little more if adapters need to be used. Not cheap, but could in theory be nearly or as good as a twin motor. If you got the system to work there is no reason why it couldn't be mass produced for less.