Homebrew 8274 twinmotor and a 200A alternator

Soren Frimodt

So my mate has this ninety with a 8274 and a XP motor.

We wanted more pulling power and fell in love the adaptor from flaminfabrication in AUS. But decided, why not make it ourselves?

And so we did. We made it as short as possible to avoid it looking too silly.

Well not much else to say, check out the pictures and hit me with if you have any questions

post-9137-125605606192_thumb.jpg

post-9137-1256056157_thumb.jpg

post-9137-125605627568_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Interesting have been kind of toying doing this, the adapter to join the motors together is simple enough...

I see you have milled in some key ways into the end of motor one, so i guess you turned down the splines on motor two and then added some key ways there.

real good job how does it run?

Very impressed with that, but the inevitable question is how well does it work ? the winch that is.

The other question is how stable are the motors considering its a relatively small thread that its all hanging on ?

But still looks like a real sound idea.

It works really well, the spooling speed when unloaded has dropped do to more friction I suppose. But the grunt in the winch is enormous! We made a test going up a 35 degree slope with no wheel asistance and kept a speed of 10m/s. And the ninety weighs in just over the 2 tonne mark. So that is quite good. I have video of testing it in some sticky mud, that I will put on youtube and link to later on.

I'm not sure I understand you're question regarding stability of the engine mounts though. The second engine is bolted to the back of the first and kept safely in place by another bracket (the one in the last picture)

And yes Moose whe chopped off the splines on the second motor to keep the length of it all to an absolute minimum.

It works really well, the spooling speed when unloaded has dropped do to more friction I suppose. But the grunt in the winch is enormous! We made a test going up a 35 degree slope with no wheel asistance and kept a speed of 10m/s. And the ninety weighs in just over the 2 tonne mark. So that is quite good. I have video of testing it in some sticky mud, that I will put on youtube and link to later on.

I'm not sure I understand you're question regarding stability of the engine mounts though. The second engine is bolted to the back of the first and kept safely in place by another bracket (the one in the last picture)

And yes Moose whe chopped off the splines on the second motor to keep the length of it all to an absolute minimum.

Erm 10m/s going up 35degree does not sound right compared to the video on youtube

Regards

Ole

Ps 10m/s = 36km/hour pretty fast for a winch and in this case electric

Haha Ole ofcourse you're right :lol: I mean't to say 10m/minute ofcourse it's not a rocket ;)

Hi Søren

That is just so sloooowwwwwww :P , 40m/minute is what we have in first gear on the Koenig, havnt been in 2 yet and since it is mechanical it works all day long if the engine runs :unsure:

Kind regards

Ole.

Thanks Si.

This weekend we did a back to back challenge between a standard 8274 with 4,5HP motor and our twin XP motored 8274.

We decided to go uphill with no wheel assistance, eventually the standard 8274 gave up do to overheaded motor. The twinmotored winch was barely warm to touch.

See the result here:

yes Will I totally agree on the gearmesh issue, we had to fit a new tophousing because the needle-rollerbearing in the gear inside the housing was knackered. This had caused it to grind into the housing, and brilliantly you can't get EITHER of the parts from Warn! You have to buy the complete tophousing assembly. Tsk tsk.. :angry:

But anyways we noticed a serious amount of sideways movement in the gear, and because there where no shim fitted, the gear would actually be running up against the housing and again cause a grinding. With this fixed it was much better. So I can only imagine what the rest of the gearbox is like. Regarding the mainshaft, it is definetly in the cards, but apparently even those break, a friend of mine running two Bow motors on gigglepin housing just broke his.

• 2 months later...