Exhaust Problems

JonB

Having put a defender 200tdi in my 2.5td 110 all has generally been well.

Everything just connected up (even the electrics), had to modify the pipes to the heater a little though.

But ...

With the standard 2.5td exhaust downpipe, i am still using, the bracket where it bolts to the engine was a little broken so its not bolted to the engine & nothing looks like it will align.

Since conversion the pipe to the manifold clamp connection keeps pulling out, i have adjusted as best i can the rest of the exhaust to minimize any leverage on the joint.

I think its a different down pipe on a 200tdi from a 2.5td

Does the 200tdi down pipe clamp to the engine?

Anyone have any pictures or info on this problem.

I am not sure of the age of the 200tdi but it was from a 90.

Thanks all.

Jon

my 200Tdi exTD 110 is fitted with a Defender spec 200Tdi down pipe which then connects to the TD system at the next joint, my exhaust except for the downpipe is a DoubleS stainless steel system.

200tdi pipe still bolts to the block as the TD pipe does.

AFAIK, the pipes are dofferent, the 200Tdi one being a slightly larger diameter than the TD pipe, I've had both on my engine & the tdi pipe sits further on the turbo housing than the TD pipe did.

200tdi is ESR158

TD is NTC4426 upto chassis FA450140, then ESR159 from chassis FA450141

When i put the 200tdi in my 89 110 to replace the TD, i just bolted the old exhaust straight to the tdi and it has worked fine for the last 18 months. The downpipe to block bracket has always been missing off of my engine. I will make one at some point but so far the TD downpipe hasnt come loose or caused amy problems.

I always thought getting the 2 piece system ESR158/NTC4221 was a better option than the one piece ESR158. With ESR158, the pipe can not be removed with the engine and/or the gearbox cross member in place.

Note that the genuine Land Rover 200TDI conversion kit says to reuse the TD downpipe (and complete exhaust).

• 1 year later...
Guest wunntenn

Resurrecting this old thread which is useful. But I need clarification (Ralph please!)

I've also got a 110 which was originally a TD19j and has now got a 200tdi fitted. When the 200tdi was fitted as far as I know the mechanic reused the existing full exhaust system. I dont think the downpipe was changed. It looks like the part in the parts manual, and bolts with a single bolt to a hole in the side of the 200tdi block.

I'm about to replace the system as its got pretty stuffed in places, and some duff welds, and am looking at a Double S full stainless set but need to be sure that the downpipe is correct before I order.

Ralph has me confused by saying:

my 200Tdi exTD 110 is fitted with a Defender spec 200Tdi down pipe which then connects to the TD system at the next joint, my exhaust except for the downpipe is a DoubleS stainless steel system.

200tdi pipe still bolts to the block as the TD pipe does.

But then in reply to a chap saying that:

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:22 PM

I always thought getting the 2 piece system ESR158/NTC4221 was a better option than the one piece ESR158. With ESR158, the pipe can not be removed with the engine and/or the gearbox cross member in place.

Note that the genuine Land Rover 200TDI conversion kit says to reuse the TD downpipe (and complete exhaust).

To which Ralph replies:

exactly as my TD 110 was converted.

Which seems to contradict the top quote where it seems to suggest that the 200tdi downpipe is different from the 19j. Or am I missig something?

Was there any other short downpipe with a joint immediately below the engine at the curve, which easily bolts to the side of the 200tdi block, which looks like the TD19j version other than the standard 19j pipe, part no NTC4426 which is correct for my VIN?

my 110 originally when the 200tdi kit was fitted in 1994, it used the TD downpipe, later as the pipe to turbo outlet wasn't & wouldn't go on far enough the slightly bigger diameter 200tdi downpipe with the welded on bracket & 1 bolt attached to the engine block was fitted instead.

the rest of my stainless system & all hangers are to 19J TD spec with a straight through pipe replacing the centre silencer, rear tail silencer remains.

hth.

Guest wunntenn

Hi Ralph - so what you're saying is that your original pipe was the shorter 19j original spec, part number NTC4426 but you changed it later to the larger bore 200 spec pipe, which I'm presuming is the longer front section version part number ESR158 ?

Any ideas what the o/d of the two pipes is as I can gauge mine to see what I've likely got. Its definitely short and bolted to the side with a welded on bracket.

Could they have used the turbo outlet pipe from the 19j, instead of the 200 version, to enable it to fit the 19j exhaust?

I presume the larger bore pipe will be better for the engine anyway?