Is this an 8274?

oakeedokee

Just bought this winch off ebay which was simply described as a Warn Electric Winch. The photos showed it to be an 8274 or 8074, but is it? Seems to be a cross between an old Belleview and an 8274, as it has a freespool mechanism and as I understand it the 8074 didn't have freespool. I'm unsure as to what the two numbers stamped on the plate mean as the writing next to them have worn away. Model number and serial number maybe?

post-656-125638220101_thumb.jpg

post-656-12563822259_thumb.jpg

post-656-125638224539_thumb.jpg

Just bought this winch off ebay which was simply described as a Warn Electric Winch. The photos showed it to be an 8274 or 8074, but is it? Seems to be a cross between an old Belleview and an 8274, as it has a freespool mechanism and as I understand it the 8074 didn't have freespool. I'm unsure as to what the two numbers stamped on the plate mean as the writing next to them have worn away. Model number and serial number maybe?

Its a 8074

It's not a belleview - it is what I would refer to as an 8074 (although there is some debate as to if it should actually be referred to as an M8000)

The belleview has a different brake arrangement, and only powers in, freespool out.

The freespool on the 8074 9as above) is actually very good, far better than an 8274. I modified the lever on mine (as it was broken when I got it) to be activated from the front though:

freespool.jpg

The freespool linkage all looks very, erm, agricultural shall we say? All nice and easy to access! I take it the ratchet mechanism is the brake?

Have e-mailed Warn to see what additional info they can come up with such as the availability of parts.

oakee, I'll give you your £40 back mate that you paid, :lol::lol: i could not believe it , last 30 seconds on the bidding and my bloody internet f*"ked up, was gutted, , glad its gone to someone who will use it, I'll swap you a xd 9000 warn winch with new solenoid pack and 8274 motor for it :rolleyes: worth a go,

all the best,

BOW..

Just had this reply to my e-mail~:

Hi Iain,

Thank you for visiting the WARN web page.

Your winch is a WARN model 8200, this is the first winch we offered that had both power-in and power-out features. We have not built this winch since the early 1970’s and parts are no longer available.

Attached is some information on this winch including a parts diagram and troubleshooting.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Steve Schoenfelder

WARN Industries

8200 parts list.pdf

8200_owners_manual.pdf