trouble getting in gear!!

driving fine tuther day, went to put into 3rd gear and it wouldnt go, nor would it go into 4th. put back in to neutral and tried again and it went in..its done this about 6 times today now, mainly only 3rd/4th gears..absolutly fine before this and no other gearbox/axle problems i know of..im thinking its the gear linkages??? advise please anyone had this?

ta

Sounds like the adjuster on top of the box needs adjusting. Its two bolts that adjust a spring which loads the lever position in the 3rd-4th plane. If setup wrong, it can make it difficult to get in gear as you describe. What gearbox is it?

Not sure if this helps but I find that when my gears are a bit dicky filling up the main gearbox and especially the transfer box works wonders. I usually find they take five or six pumps from the relevant OilSafe and then work really smoothly.

Much better than a dip stick!

thanks guys..i'll check bias but not sure if thats the problem as the gear stick sits between 3rd and 4th in neutral and changing to and from these from this point is fine..problem is when changing up from 2nd to 3rd, then it jams up...

..also dont know if i never noticed this before or just gettin paranoid but when in 5th gear the stick looks as through its in 3rd (goes in then springs back quite a way to the left) :ph34r:

i'll check my levels tho beastie and see if it helps..oh and the box is a R380 (1999 td5)

ta

Still think the bias springs could be the cause - the lever has to travel through the region set by these to get to 3rd or 5th. I had a spare turret for the lever when i had this problem - i stuck that on as the springs were better on it and it solved the problem.

will be checking clutch level later 2nite and box levels at weekend along with mounts and bias aswell, hopefully bias will be the problem and a simple solution..what i dont understand is how it was perfectly fine, then all of a sudden jams up?

thanks for the info guys

hey guys..success

had a chance to look at on sunday..by which time the gear selection was completely shagged, it wouldnt go in reverse or 3rd or 5th..anyway had a look at the bias, all of which was fine, took the selector unit off the box and found the linkages had all come apart, got em fixed up and voila back to normal again!!!

• 5 years later...
  • 7 years later...
On 10/29/2009 at 5:43 PM, western said:

possibly one of the bias spring fingers has broken off or slipped off the bolt head.

I had shifting symptoms and went in expecting to have to fiddle with the bias springs, but I found that the cross-pin through the shifter ball itself had sheared off on one side - so nothing for the bias spring to bear against. 

(Edit - oops, didn’t realise the comment above was in such an old thread.)