Whats this Adhesive called.

tweetyduck

On my 110 when i remove the door card there's a line of white adhesive along the top inside. In my Saab its grey. Its like really strong bluetack. In modern cars its used to stick all sorts of panels and stuff.

Any idea what its called and where i can get it ? I want to re fix all the door cards and trim. The stuff already on the door is as dry as anything and crumbling in places. (its not dum dum is it?)

I've cheacked my disks (just managed to get Rave and Microcat today) and can't find it listed.

Its butyl windscreen tape thats used on the modern cars. Its about £12 for a roll. It should do the job perfectly.

Its like super bluetack although its black. :D

wurth sell it to the trade for about that BUT you can get it from caravan shops known as w7 repair tape and is used to repair caravan panels and windows etc

On my 110 when i remove the door card there's a line of white adhesive along the top inside. In my Saab its grey. Its like really strong bluetack. In modern cars its used to stick all sorts of panels and stuff.

Any idea what its called and where i can get it ? I want to re fix all the door cards and trim. The stuff already on the door is as dry as anything and crumbling in places. (its not dum dum is it?)

I've cheacked my disks (just managed to get Rave and Microcat today) and can't find it listed.

The door cards should be hold in by the little plastic pins that slide onto the corresponding lugs on the door card itself and the recepticle in the door frame. These pins often break when removing the cards but are replaceable, sometimes the lugs break on the card itself in which case the pin can be bonded in place with some araldite.

There is a line of sealant around the inner door frame that holds the 'moisture barrier' (plastic sheeting to you and me) in place, I've never bothered replacing it when I've rebuilt doors.

I think what you are looking for is PU adhesive, there are a number of brands and it's often known as Sikaflex. It comes in a range of colours and has a myriad of uses but on cars it's used as a means of sealing panels together because it's permanently flexible and can be painted. As well as sealing and sticking panels it also reduces vibration and dampens noise.

You can buy adhesive and none-adhesive variants and it's much hardier and stable than silicone as well as staying flexible, like you say, like super strength bluetac when it's "dry".

It's also petrol and diesel proof so can be used to seal fuel fittings, unlike silicone which turns to jelly at the first sniff of petrol fumes.

Frost sell the Dinitrol version... http://auto.frost.co.uk/frost/Panel%20Sealer

but all decent auto factors will have a version of it (prob a lot cheaper !), just ask for panel sealer or Sikaflex.

Sikaflex is one of the Land Rover Holy Trinity - Tie wraps, tank tape and sikaflex.

thanks guys

the butyl tape is what i was looking for. Renault, Saab, BMW (seen it in the doors myself when playing with my old cars) etc all use it to bond trim to metal in conjunction to the clips (that i've broken or were already broken :( ). Its just makes the fit that much better. Its semi perm fix and is also resistant to everything so must be something like the sikaflex you refered to. It took me about 5 or 6 hours on google to get to the correct bead size for the butyl tape (got 9mm). Its been delivered today and it currently holding my mobile phone to the celing in my office (just a test !).

I will replace the white perished length in on my defender door with a new length and replace the clips i've broken with something else. Currently looking for some "pine tree clips" of the correct size. There's bloody hundreds. Once i;ve done that i will go round all the trim and replace all the missing bits. I seem to have an abundance of holes and no clips. Estimate 40% of the fixings are missing....even bolts in floor panels. I'm getting there.