Which one to get

jimmy_neutron

My 90 defender is off the road as i need to put a new galv chassis in it and now that the weather is getting cold, i'm starting to wonder if i'll get it done before winter.

I was thinking about getting an old 200tdi disco and running it till i get the defender back, then just scrapping it and keeping the engine as a spare for the defender. My defender is a 200tdi so is the engine a straight swap except for the manifolds ?

Are all the old disco's rotten and not worth getting ?

Would i be better off with a newer disco and trying to keep it for a couple of years?

Should i consider a series or defender instead ? :blink:

no not all discos are rotten but you do need to look carefully for it

if you only want one for 6 months while the defender chassis swap is being done you will get one that will see you through winter for 700-800 quid easy enough

rob

o and a 200 tdi in a disco is the same just some of the bits bolted to it are different ;)

As above.. most/many 200 series disco's are now in the hands of enthusiast's and into a second life fitted with a lot of replacement parts. U may get a good one and be able to sell on for the price you paid when the 90 is back.

no not all discos are rotten but you do need to look carefully for it

if you only want one for 6 months while the defender chassis swap is being done you will get one that will see you through winter for 700-800 quid easy enough

rob

o and a 200 tdi in a disco is the same just some of the bits bolted to it are different ;)

TA that sound like a plan if i can find one cheap enough locally. At least i get an engine at the end of it :)

After a certain age, condition matters more than age/mileage. Just pick something that looks solid and not too abused. Or, just buy a small sensible car to avoid being distracted by offroading when you should be getting on with your 90.

It keeps raining though and its cold and i wimp out :unsure:

I got a rover 416 auto :angry: cos i was desperate for a drivable car to run me around. only expected to be driving it a few weeks but no matter how hard i try it just won't tow 3 tonnes. For some reason the auto box just keeps slipping and the engine squeals and i get no movement. :ph34r: