Bust Centre Diff

Mark

OK, I think I have broken my centre diff - I havn't confirmed this yet as i attacked the Transfer box from the wrong end! Having got the speedo housing off it turns out the centre diff comes out from the front... <_<

So, Fearing the worst I am researching getting another centre diff unit. Looking in my parts catalogue I can see FRC7926 and FTC5207 with thier associated change points. I presume this is the T-box serial number - if so where do I find it? :unsure:

Can anyone jut tell me what a 91 200 TDI disco should have in it? B)

Also does anyone have a centre diff unit lying around on a shelf, since the prices on craddocks seem quite high! :huh:

Do Ashcrofts do replacement centre diffs?

Cheers

Mark

NB, this is should be something of a testament to hw strong an X-Brake actually is.... :ph34r:

OK, I think

Do Ashcrofts do replacement centre diffs?

Cheers

Mark

NB, this is should be something of a testament to hw strong an X-Brake actually is.... :ph34r:

Yes ……...they do ................ but you are looking at the thick end of £120 or so

Mark,

The spider breaks ….Ashcroft’s do a stronger version, however, it is unusual for the CD to give up unless it has been subjected to some severe abuse :rolleyes: …………. there are more common problems with the actuator mechanism. It’s not a nice job with the box still in the motor ………… and it’s not that nicer job with the box out of the motor.

If the x/box has done a few miles than maybe an ascroft rebuild is the better option. I was forced into this decision about 6 months ago …………… and I am very pleased with the rebuild. ;)

Ian

Serious abuse? Does trying to drive up a steep hill with the Disc Handbrake still applied count? :o:o

Yeah, a recon t-box is certainly appealling at the moment.

Cheers

Mark

A word of caution Mark: Get it apart and see what you need before you start ordering parts. As I said on Sunday, the symptoms you described are not typical of a busted centre diff. When the diff busts all the bits are (generaly) contained in the diff's inner housing and the effect is rather more like having a permanently locked diff. You were suffering with the transfer case locking up, a different problem IMHO.

See if you can find Will Warne's post about centre diffs., about 6 weeks ago I guess.

Chris

Mark, I did the job in the vehicle. Not one I want to repeat in a hurry! Ashcrofts supplied me with my replacement parts (a new solid x shaft, a new gearset for the diff and a LT230 seal kit) and the job took about 10 hours (lots of swaering involved). On the bench this is a 2 hour job at most but you've got to get the transfer box out and back in again. When I've rebuilt the centre diff I've pulled the front output housing, separated both halves of the diff and replaced the internals while leaving the back end of the diff in place.

My advice is to pull the t.box if you're not 100% sure what's failed. When my diff failed it locked up and, occasionally, made crunching noises.