Total load weight

therealboss

Hi

What is the total safe weight I can carry inside my 2004 Freelander?

Going to the UK with the wife and 3 kids (18,16 & 3 years of age), bought some heavy duty battries with a weight of 35Kg each and need to know if it is asking too much of the Freelander to carry 10 of these battries along with the rest of us.

If the Freelander is going to be too small for such a heavy load, would a P38 carry us all and the batries and if so would it be safe?

The freelander is way to small to carry that sort of weight....

No it isn't ....

loaded1.jpg

... incl the 2 adults it was about 850kg we've put in the FL.

loaded2.jpg

It didn't had any problem wiv it .... but I don't think we'll do that again tho ;)

Marvellous

you got away with it, now imagine that lot shooting forward in a crash, surely by now everyone has seen that safety film during the adverts where it is emphasised that an unrestrained load [in that case a schoolboy sat behind his mother]will assume a far greater mass.

I dont really think the seat clips will stop a third of a tonne doing forty MPH do you? and to sit your children in front of it is really silly

• 3 weeks later...

In what crash? did I crash? ..... oh boy, I've crashed and didn't even knew it :blink:

Man, what do you think? .. that I drive around like an essex boyracer with that load in the car?

You don't crash driving around like that ... you watch out, drive slowly and take them quiet roads back home.

... and I don't have children .... but I do practise alot tho, so maybe one day.... :P

Sir/Madam

Good you didnt crash, :) that much is clear from your sarcastic reply to my post, :huh: my point was/is, an unrestrained load will under heavy braking, OR IN A CRASH slid forwards with a vastly increased mass and kill you, :( you obviously dont believe in the laws of motion and have your own ideas, well carry on and all the best :ph34r:

Me sorry for the sarcastic post ... I do believe in laws of motion and I do understand your point.

My point was that if you load your car like i did you drive safely to avoid such situations.... which is easy.

if someone loads it like that and do find himselve driving to fast and can't avoid a crash .. it's his own fault, nobody has to feel sorry and we all laugh at the person :P

There is a very big danger with a TD4 Freelander tho! ... that loaded like that it still can reach 130km/h easiely! :blink:

(tried it out on a privat owned 4mile straight strip with no other vehicles ... honnest)

... but as I allready wrote ... I'll never load it like that again ... will go home to pick up the trailer next time definitily.