110 rear axle

I have a 110 CSW with a Salisbury axle. I was considering getting a locking diff in it, and remembered the later 110 axles are a Rover axle, I think with a 4 pin diff. However, it occured to me rather than molest the innards of the Salisbury, as a locker would be 4 pin anyway and presumably equally strong whether in a Salisbury or Rover case, I might be able to fit a Rover axle instead - which would mean the time off road would be much less, as I could use a spare axle. So, does anybody know if the 'Rover' 110 rear axle has a special (eg stronger) case or would any case do? Ie is a later 110 rear axle just a Rover axle with a 4 pin diff?

Nigel

You can get a locker to Salisbury Axle as well. I have a Detroit locker on it, and I really like it, works well, makes some noise (that´s why I call it Detroit Knocker) but albeit that is very good option. Cheapish, and really easy to install. Took me three hours. Doesn´t need any special lubricants or service. Some say they will brake down, but mine has seen rigorous off roading with big tyres and has worked well almost a year.

Maybe you should consider that as an option, instead of installing a new axle and some other locker. Also financially wise?

I was a bit put off by having to stretch the axle casing to get the diff out. Yes I know it can be done with chains & a beam etc, but it just seemed easier to get another axle ready and switch it. How did you get round the case stretching?

Nigel

I used two praybars and a friend of mine was supporting the diff by hands all the time. Then just slowly and steadily making it loose equally from both sides and finally after 10-15 minutes it surrendered. The streching device would be handy, but it´s doable without. Installation is easy, just lift the diff on its place and tighten it with those bearing halves equally from both sides to a given momentum.

Thing is that with worn bearings, lifting it out is no problem. After changing bearings, the diff should be shimmed so it just doesn't fit, but some gentle persuation with a plastic hammer will get it in place. Just been there, done that... ;):)

I 99% sure the mounting to the suspension / chassis on a salisbury differ to say a 90 or RR back axle.

One option is on Late 110s LR Fitted a P38 Diff (rover drop in type) and 110 casing etc etc, you can pick up one of these for not much on ebay (£250 complete) swap over everything and then sell the salisbury, then there are a range of Locking diff / shafts options.

An alternative thing to think about vs salisbury axles, however I am unconvinced that the 110 P38 axle is as strong as the salisbury, its just they are a PITA to work on :D

Nige