td5 electrics, key is off but its live!!!!!!&#

WEBBY

i have a early td5 disco, battery kept going flat after a few days :(

have fitted a NEW battery but i did realise that some electrics still worked even when key is out and removed. wipers, heated seats etc so im guessing this is running down battery. any one else had this issue??? not sure if its related but remote locking does not function either vehicle was parked up for 6 months any good ideas?? ;)

I don't see why the D2 is any different but the two items you mention are ignition controled on the D1, so you do have a problem somewhere.

:rolleyes:

Well trust those of us with experience that it IS different - the D2 is a much more complicated bit of kit and a lot of the electrics are controlled by the IDM unit built into the back of the fusebox which doesn't exist on a D1.

Water gets into the fusebox, rots the electrics and shorts them out, and all sorts of nasty things happen from burning out door locks to the dashboard staying lit up and the engine running when you take the key out (and then the engine stopping when you touch the brake pedal - actual example) to just about any combination of other things. You can pull the fusebox out with a bit of skin and swearing and pop the back cover off, if it's green/brown and smelly in there then a) you need a new one and b) you have a water leak...

The IDM died on my car - but no water leaks - under the rear cover is as clean as the day it was made.

Is the IDM module available seperately,or is there anybody out there who can repair it so it can be kept as a spare?

Please excuse the hijack.

Peter.

Only replaceable as a unit AFAIK - whole fusebox - 99% of the failures involve water ingress and the whole circuit board is fkd so there's probably not much market for repairing them. Might be worth trying Equicar or similar - I think there are only a couple of different sorts.

Thanks for the reply Bog Monster, I had to fit a new one to get the car going again.

As I said, the fuse box is absolutely spotless inside, no sign of any water ingress, must just be a duff component somewhere internally - way beyond my capability to find it and rectify unfortunately.

Peter.