ZF Gearbox cooling ?

zim

Morning,

I'm busy checking how to connect my zf auto box up.

The current oil system uses both the water radiator and the bottle brush oil cooler along the front.

Will i be ok to use something like a mocal 13row x235mm oil cooler instead ?

m-oc13-10jic.jpg

Cheers

Gordon

I am currently using one (13row x 235mm) on my 90 300TDI Auto and have had no problems, however it is my daily driver (lots of airflow from forward motion) and doesn't do lots of low speed off road.

I would suggest a minimum of a 19row x 235mm with a fan if the vehicle is going to be doing lots of low speed offroad.

Pete.

editted to add, Although you can over cool a box, it is much harder and less likely to do damage than over heating a box.

Pete.

Edited by Pete Attryde

i would of thought a 13 row wasnt man enough unless its at the front in the air flow at road speeds (like Petes.

whats the truck going to be used for?

Dave A does some coolers or certainly has links/recommendations to some

i would of thought a 13 row wasnt man enough unless its at the front in the air flow at road speeds (like Petes.

whats the truck going to be used for?

Dave A does some coolers or certainly has links/recommendations to some

it's going onto my challenge truck.

thanks for the replies

G

We use quite a large cooler (approx 10" square not sure how many rows) which is mounted behind the truck cab.

I've fitted a fan but even with it fitted out of direct airflow I've had to blank of some of the surface area of the cooler because it wasn't even reaching operating temperature.

Eddie

We use quite a large cooler (approx 10" square not sure how many rows) which is mounted behind the truck cab.

I've fitted a fan but even with it fitted out of direct airflow I've had to blank of some of the surface area of the cooler because it wasn't even reaching operating temperature.

Eddie

Have you got a temp gauge on it ? What's 'operable' temperature ?

cheers

G

I'm using the standard bogbrush cooler without issues. If it was ok for LandRover's powertrain development towing 3 tonnes through the Sahara behind a Discovery, it should be fine behind my Ninety doing some green lanes. I can see the need if you've got a 'ooge V8 putting megawatts into the torque converter for half an hour while the truck's stood on end, but surely for most users it's not the problem it's perceived to be.

I have no science to back this up and I don't even monitor the trans temp on mine, but the oil's not burnt so something's working!

i run a 320mm laminova (water to oil) on an HP24 off a TGV, had some issues initially until the correct bung was fitted in the laminova to restrict the flow and increase the cooling. she now sits at 80deg (it drops a bit on a fast road section in lock up) goes upto about 110 on long climbs on hills etc on road. off road is now fine tops about 90 deg. correct running temp for the box is 80-95deg C i believe, all temps takan at the sump.

most of the guys i know running 21 row cooler behind the cab seem to sit at 80deg day in day out

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28213447@N03/3917534094/sizes/l/

I run the Ashcroft Hybrid box in mine with a large oil cooler for mine on the back. It has it's own cooling fan. I used 1/2 inch hydraulic hose to plumb it all. Running a oil temp sensor in the sump and it has never got warmer than about 60 degree's. Works very very well but I think the cooler was aroun £300 +vat. But it is cheaper than killing a box!

Dan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28213447@N03/3917534094/sizes/l/

I run the Ashcroft Hybrid box in mine with a large oil cooler for mine on the back. It has it's own cooling fan. I used 1/2 inch hydraulic hose to plumb it all. Running a oil temp sensor in the sump and it has never got warmer than about 60 degree's. Works very very well but I think the cooler was aroun £300 +vat. But it is cheaper than killing a box!

Dan

so she runs a bit cold then.

so she runs a bit cold then.

Hi James,

Spoke to Dave A about it and he said he was happy with that temp!

So, So am I! the box is a fantastic tool and its been fault less! I change the oil and filter pack after every outting and the oil has never smelt or been discoloured!

When ya next out James? any news on the next interclub - Can't wait :D

Dan :)