Can you raise the suspension without the engine running?

sotal

When collecting the RR P38 I could do with raising the suspension to make it easier to get it on the trailer.

Currently one of the heads is off, so obviously it can't be started. The seller has told me that it won't raise as we can't start it.

Just wondered if there was any way round it? I'd read something about holding the footbrake down for 3 mins but I may have misunderstood what that was on about as it wasn't very clear.

Any ideas? Why does it need the engine running if it's an electric compressor? Can the compressor be directly connected to get it working?

In standard terms, using the system as designed, it isn't designed to work while the alternator is not working, which of course translates to engine not running.

Get Mechanical / Electrical and you can run the compressor by triggering the relay, but don't forget you also need to switch on two solenoids per spring, the one for the spring itself AND the raise solenoid.

If you have someone with a unit from BlackBox Solutions they can operate the compressor and solenoids via that, otherwise you need to get very familiar with the operation of the EAS, possibly via the RangeRovers.net site. Denis Altman probably has the information you need in the Instruction section of his site.

http://www.rover-renovations.com/kb_results.asp?ID=27

HTH

if it's just to get it onto the trailer... why not just remove the front bumper instead ? a little clip in front of each wheel, disconnect the fog lights and unbolt the 2 x star bolts by the numberplate - literally a 10minute job.

G

Thanks for the help, from the way it's stored at the moment it will probably go on backwards is the procedure as simple for the rear bumper?

I'm not 100% sure it will be a problem yet - it was more in case it does cause a problem,

Someone else suggested jacking the vehicle up and putting wood under the bump stops which seems a good idea

Thanks for the help, from the way it's stored at the moment it will probably go on backwards is the procedure as simple for the rear bumper?

I'm not 100% sure it will be a problem yet - it was more in case it does cause a problem,

Someone else suggested jacking the vehicle up and putting wood under the bump stops which seems a good idea

you won't want to tow it if put on backwards, the weight distribution on the trailer will be ****, and your tow car will sway.

It won't be me towing, a friend of the seller has a recovery truck which it is going to go on, it just looks quite low at the moment! Might just be me worrying about nothing though - Just wanted to make sure I knew as much as possible in case any problems arose

In standard terms, using the system as designed, it isn't designed to work while the alternator is not working, which of course translates to engine not running.

Get Mechanical / Electrical and you can run the compressor by triggering the relay, but don't forget you also need to switch on two solenoids per spring, the one for the spring itself AND the raise solenoid.

If you have someone with a unit from BlackBox Solutions they can operate the compressor and solenoids via that, otherwise you need to get very familiar with the operation of the EAS, possibly via the RangeRovers.net site. Denis Altman probably has the information you need in the Instruction section of his site.

http://www.rover-renovations.com/kb_results.asp?ID=27

HTH

David just had time to read that - very useful link thank you very much,

Cheers

Or disconnect the airlines and fit a 6mm pneumatic connector

with a scraeder valve, then you can use your bikepump, compressor

or other means of inflation you can get your hands on.

I have this permanently fitted in the enginebay of mine, and a

cheap Britpart compressor in the boot.

It's easy enough, as long as the battery has enough charge - you might want to take a jump start power pack or jump leads with you. Read up on what to do here (rangerovers.net). You'll need a smallish crosshead screwdriver and some stiff wire to jumper the EAS connector. Make sure nothing is going to get shorted before connecting the battery up and turning the ignition on if there's work in progress.