Air filter

dees

Why?

The original is designed to do the job.

^^^^ ditto. LR may have their faults, but generally the standard item is up to the job*. Admittedly that job could be towing elephants up a Saharan sand dune, but a dry day on Salisbury Plain can be nearly as dusty (albeit short on elephants though). From a performance point of view, a smaller volume filter will either not let as much air through (smaller surface area) or not filter as well (smaller area but more free flowing). Lastly, what do want the space for? It's not exactly easy to re-use it?

*most half shafts, diff pinions, prop and steering UJs and the whole TD engine excepted

Why?

The original is designed to do the job.

The reason for the change is I'm fitting the 4.2 into my hybrid, and it doesn't fit in the same position as in the range rover. There is I think sufficient space to fit it around the back of the block in front of the bulkhead, but I'm not sure about the breathing back there. So, I was wondering what the options for a smaller filter were.

Cheers for the replies

In that case you need to find out how much space you have.

Take a walk down the scrappies and find something that has

a similar NA engine capacity or a turbocharged one of around

2.5L.

Then you could even fit a snorkel to aid the use of ambient

air rather than hot underbonnet air.

I run a Defender 200TDi air filter on my 4.6, which seems to work fine. If you have room, a 110 V8 filter is bigger but may not help with making space.

Thatnks for the replies. I think I will probably look at mounting the range rover filter transversely across the back of the block (over the bell housing) and shortening the trumpet air intake to keep the overalll length down. It should fit then! I had been thinking along the lines of a K&N type filter, but it seems like they aren't favoured!

Cheers

Dunc