VGT kit for 300 Tdi - group buy

Michele

There's the rub. At low revs, a supercharger (also called a blower for very good reason) will have some losses (pressurised air leaking back through the vane system) because it is optimised to deliver good volumes at lowish pressures (a few bar) and these losses will nearly equal the effect of the blower. At high revs the losses account for a much smaller fraction, giving you some pressure boost left over.

You could make a blower (more like a compressor) that worked well at low revs, but you'd have to dump insane volumes of air at 10 times idle revs because it would be a straight revs / pressure relationship - 10 bar boost ? :blink:

On a lighter side note, you could sort it all out by having an auto or CVT transmission on the supercharger: no lag and spot on boost all the time?

Hybrid turbo + supercharger anyone??? What about a turbo/supercharger powered by a separate power source???? Neither are new and both can be made to work (the latter is a rather more complex, though)

There's the rub. At low revs, a supercharger (also called a blower for very good reason) will have some losses (pressurised air leaking back through the vane system) because it is optimised to deliver good volumes at lowish pressures (a few bar) and these losses will nearly equal the effect of the blower. At high revs the losses account for a much smaller fraction, giving you some pressure boost left over.

You could make a blower (more like a compressor) that worked well at low revs, but you'd have to dump insane volumes of air at 10 times idle revs because it would be a straight revs / pressure relationship - 10 bar boost ? :blink:

Lancia tackled this in the days of Group B rallying by equipping the S4 Delta with both a supercharger for low down grunt and a turbo higher up the rev range. Very clever plumbers

3 pages later...sad.gif

Well, I should get mine in the next days...

To give an idea, I took a spin in my mate's D90 2 days ago, mind he fitted a std size Allisport intercooler and tweaked the pump as well, plus the Defender is 4.11 geared, well in the end it feels like my sister's VW Lupo Tdi.blink.gif

Weird in a way when used to the Tdi in standard form, but it gooooooes smile.gif