EGR thing

tonko007

It is worth doing, but should be done properly with a full kit.

The kits available vary in quality. Mine was done by IRB developments and it's a good quality kit with all of the necessary parts (including a couple of blanking plugs for the necessary vacum pipes.

Have a look on the IRB website

do a search as egr removal has been covered many many times

yes its worth doing and is the first step towrds making your tdi much better performance wise

follow up with de cat and interccoler/inlet manifold clean out then your into intercooler upgrades and tweaked fuel pumps as long as the rest of the engine is tip top

rob

The valves usually stick intermittently so the easiest thing to do is seal off the vac pipes (a 3/16" blind rivet stuffed in the end of the rubber fitting and a small cable tie around it do the trick), take it for a good run to get it hot, tap it with a hammer and it will probably shut. I have bypassed loads of Td5 EGR systems and never taken a valve off yet, if you do it before it gets too bad it only takes 5 min.

Ye but dosent it do that on over run, when your givin it the beans then the inlet manifold is under 14psi of boost.

I guess it could. I didn't look into the symptoms of the failure on mine I just pulled it out and mounted a thermocouple for EGT in it's place.

I know on mine the inlet manifold was so clogged with 'marmite' that the internal diameter of the inlet was 10mm smaller than it should have been and that since removing the EGR and cleaning the inlet manifold none of the marmite has come back, and the engine now smokes less, can't say I actually noticed much difference in performance from blanking it off.

Pete.

Edited by Pete Attryde