HEVAC Unit Fault

teessidelad25

Hi everyone

I've got a RR 51 plate 4.0 Westminster spec Ed.

recently had mega problems that started from Flat Battery but since i got battery changed and finally sorted KeyCode Lockout I've now noticed some other things immediately after fitting a new battery.

Handbook light is on the HEVAC unit and cant get any warm air on the passenger side of the vehicle but the driver side is fine. Centre vent is cold on left but warm on right seems strange to me any ideas ??

also me Heated seats have suddenly started working and havent since i bought the car about 2 years ago

All help much appreciated.

I've got a RR 51 plate 4.0 Westminster spec Ed.

Centre vent is cold on left but warm on right seems strange to me any ideas ??

also me Heated seats have suddenly started working and haven't since i bought the car about 2 years ago

The Climate Control system is capable of setting different heat levels to each side, within limits of about +/- 6 degrees C If I Recall Correctly. There is only one in car temperature sensor, I recall it's the Drivers side that takes precedence. Anyway, the design to achieve this unequal split means that the air ways are split left and right, which is why there is a left and a right blend motor, each controlling it's own blend flap.

(Air Conditioned air (cooled and dried, but unheated) is blended with Heated External air to give the required temperature, without excessive moisture content).

As for the seats - I have no idea, UNLESS .... There is a thermostat control in the seat base. If it was warm the last time you tried the seats perhaps the thermostat was open. Bit of a guess that, but the circuit is quite simple. I was going to say 'with no electronic control', BUT there is an element of power shedding in the electrical system. With low voltage due to a poor Battery / Alternator it's possible the ON request from the button never made it out of the HEVAC to the BECM, or the BECM got the ON request, but didn't switch the seats on, as the electrical system wouldn't have stood for it.

Speculation really, so just be thankful they do work; many don't, and there is little else like sitting on leather at 0 Centigrade for minimising your assets!!

Note the other thread here, where someone has bought a single blend motor from a Bearmach dealer. The purchaser quotes an LR part number, so they may now be available singly from your LR Dealer.

Good Luck.

Hi guys looks like i got a few things to check.

from my understanding of changing blend motors i guess its a full dash out job am i right >???

No,its not.On a RHD car the LH blend is about an hours work,the RH and Dist blends are about 2hrs work as long as the distribution flap is not too stiff in operation.Look on www.rangerovers.net for instructions.They are pretty good,but I dont cut or drill anything - I use a snap on rachet that holds 1/4" hex bits to do the two screws on each blend.I hold the screws onto the bit with a small piece of heatshrink just to get them started.Its a fiddly job,but it gets easier each time ! No need even to diconnect the battery,just make sure you dont turn the ignition on with the passenger airbag disconnected or it will put the SRS lamp on.

Hi guys looks like i got a few things to check.

from my understanding of changing blend motors i guess its a full dash out job am i right >???

Officially Yes, and some privateers like to do it that way, but there are other ways. They may be short-cuts compared to removing the dash, but they aren't short.

Read the RangeRovers.net main site is probably the most common advice.

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/blendmotor.html

I treat every car as an individual case now,the value of the car dictates the amount of work the owner will spend in most cases.Last week I did L +R blends and O rings - the owner paid £800 for the car less than 6 months ago.....

Yesterday I saw a towbar being removed from a 99my TD5 DII auto that was going in for scrappage,this afternoon I was asked to give an opinion on a TD5 DII with an extremely loud engine knock.(As I watched the towbar coming off,I wondered where all the good bits of that car could do good service - funny old world Eh ? )