3.9 efi auto conversion

I'm thinking about converting my 1987 110 v8 3.5 manual to a 3.9 efi auto taken from a Discovery.

I've searched the forum including the Tech Archives but I can't find anything specific to this conversion.

Any and all help gratefully received :)

I carnt see this being easy. if i read correct the 3.5 (will be carb?) and the 3.9 (is a efi). I believe the wiring harness for the efi unit is all part of the discovery vehicle harness? If it was a 3.9 out of a range rover classic then yes its a easy conversion to do ( i have just done it myself) as the efi wiring is seperate to the vehicle so can be transfered.

my advice is to either get a RRC wiring harness and attach it to the disco engine or as many people on here will say meggasquirt it. Or you could carb it and get rid of the efi side, which in my eyes is a shame

al

my god! you learn something new everyday! what a great forum this is...

I'm not too sure if its true or not but I heard the Disco 1 has a separate loom and the Disco 2 has it integrated. Any how my proposed donor is a Disco 1 with 65k kilometres

Ive taken V8i engines out of discos in the past and all of them have been seperate looms so far.

Same here.

Main difference with the loom is the Disco one is shorter, as the ECU is in the footwell. RRC loom is under the driver's seat.

hi, ive done this conversion twice and its very easy, everything bolts in. email me on garysarienne@worldonline.co.za or skype me on the same address, i'll help you out.

Not sure if this is as easy as you say. On my defender I had to install new mounts for the AT and engine (there should be a thread somewhere in this forum) as the AT has a different length compared to the manual box. The only mount I could use was the one of the transfer box (note: defender was a 200tdi with LT77 manual box).

For the wiring harness: Doesn't matter if using MegaSquirt or not - build your own. Then you can be sure to have it a the correct length (the one out of the rrc is long enough to fit the ecu e.g. under the cubby box but I'm not sure about the one out of the disco) and new wires. Old engine looms may have problems with wire breaks.

It's a 90 with 3.5 V8 but has manual shift. Question was if the auto box (assume it is a 4HP22) is the same length as the LT manual box as it is fitted in the 90V8. If not the engine mounts and the left transmission mount has to be adapted.

edit: just saw it's a 110 and not a 90 but doesn't matter

Just to clarify the original was a 110/Defender with a 3.5V8 and manual transmision

Thank you every one for sharing your thoughts and for the private emails. Its all been a great help and I hope to get started with it next week.

Olly