Disco no go

Rolly

Hi all, went to start the old 300Tdi this morning and she wound over but would not start.

Took an injector line off and tried again and no fuel came out of the line.

Took the fuel filter off and cranked her over and diesel pumped out so its not the hi-lift pump.

New fuel filter....still nothing.

Cleaned up the connection for the fuel cut-off switch on the diesel pump and hooked it back up....still nothing.

End result? Diesel pump not operating. I haven't had a spider problem in over two years but I wouldn't discount it. What's the best way to check if your diesel pump is working or not? And will the pump just die mechanically?Personally I think its evil evil landrover electrics.

Any thoughts?

You could try running a wire from the battery positive to the stop solenoid connection and then try starting it. This will, if the engine then starts, tell you if the wiring is at fault (if the engine does start you will have to stop by pulling the wire off. Also when you connect the wire listen for a click of the fuel solenoid actuating, as it could just be a dead stop solenoid.

Pete.

remove an injector and put it in a jar and crank over, you will see the diesel inject if it is working.

if you put fresh diesel into a jar and put that straight onto pump inlet then you know the diesel is at the pump. maybe the lines froze!

if the solenoid does not energize when you turn engine on, try putting 12 v straight from battery to it. if it does not energize with a tick, then you can remove the solenoid and remove the guts of it and re connect the body of the stop solenoid back in. however, the motor will need to be stalled to stop it if you go down this route. then find another one in the meantime.

maybe there was water in the filter, drain it after warming it for a bit then try starting it again. if the fuel is getting there, it should go the rest of the way without drama though.

richard

Thanks for the quick replies, I just hooked a wire from the battery to the solenoid and the car is purring away happily. Well, rattling away happily anyway.

I'll hopefully pick up a new solenoid tomorrow (christmas, what a great time to have problems) and all will be good.

Personally I think the car is jealous. I just bought myself a boat and was supposed to be taking it out on the water this afternoon for its first run. If any vehicle has a personality and a vindictive one at that its a Landrover.

Maybe I should sacrifice a goat or something to the Landrover Gods to appease them.

Cheers and thanks again. Top bunch of blokes (and girls for any tomb raiders).

Have a Safe and Merry Christmas. :)

You're right Pete. But amusingly I just went out and disconnected that wire from the battery and left the other end connected to the solenoid and isolated it, shut the bonnet and was about to lock the car up when I thought "what the hell" and turned the ignition and it started :blink::lol:

Maybe new wiring from the source to the solenoid? Or is it that evil spider spinning it's web once again?