What freelander

colony

I might treet myself to a new vehicle soon as was considering a Freelander. What is the best model to go for? I fancy a V6 but are they thirsty? I have to have an auto as well (why bother changing gear yourself).I'm willing to spend £3000.I'm not keen on diesels but if they are the best ones...

Thanks

I might treet myself to a new vehicle soon as was considering a Freelander. What is the best model to go for? I fancy a V6 but are they thirsty? I have to have an auto as well (why bother changing gear yourself).I'm willing to spend £3000.I'm not keen on diesels but if they are the best ones...

Thanks

Don't touch a petrol one unless you like walking a lot, lol. Only one in my opinion is a TD4, they are as smooth revvy and powerful as a petrol engine. V6= two head gaskets to blow, I personally wouldn't touch one unless it's free.

"Don't touch a petrol one unless you like walking a lot, lol" - Bit Harsh

I have a 98 3 dr 1.8 Petrol and love it, have had no problems. As far as i am concerned as long as you keep up with maintaince etc you shouldnt have a problem, although admit would love a V6

Thanks

TD4's are good with loads of torque plus you can get them superchipped which I would recommend to anyone to get done well worth it :P

"Don't touch a petrol one unless you like walking a lot, lol" - Bit Harsh

I have a 98 3 dr 1.8 Petrol and love it, have had no problems. As far as i am concerned as long as you keep up with maintaince etc you shouldnt have a problem, although admit would love a V6

Head Gasket problems are down to engine/cooling system design and not how well the car has been maintained (altho a poorly maintained car is more likely to have problems). Some may never have a problem, but that's more down to luck than design I'm afraid.

Thanks

I agree with everyone, avoid the petrol model, go for the XS TD4 diesel, less than £30000, I bought one three months ago, fantastic car

Road Tax is £175

Stop/Start system giving better returns on fuel consumtion

Go on spoil your self

David in Derbyshire

Is the original post correct - budget £3000, or is Scorpion man correct in thinking you mean "new new" and £30k budget as opposed to just "new to you".

I have a 98 1.8 Petrol which has a replacement engine with the proper head gasket & cooling system mods and I'm very happy with it. It's just ticked over the 150k miles mark, around 25k since I've owned it and the new lump went in. The petrols have a far worse reputation than they deserve, but the plus side is you can buy them for peanuts and get a great little car. Just keep a bit aside for getting the head gasket done if it happens and you'll not be caught out.

Greetings,

If this is any help. I have a 2001 TD4 that has 172k on the clock and is still going strong. As advised by all the other users, keep well clear of the petrol models and go for Diesel. The early 2ltr D model wasn't to bad apart fro being under powered but the TD4 is a better propostion. I had my VCU changed as a matter of coarse but apart from that, no worries.

MP

The TD4 is not just about the engine, the TD4 was introduced when BMW was running things and they also made a number of design changes including the vehicle electrics and the gearing of the rear diff which fixed the rear tyre wear problem on earlier models. I have had both variants and the post BMW ones are definitely the ones to go for.

The TD4 is not just about the engine, the TD4 was introduced when BMW was running things and they also made a number of design changes including the vehicle electrics and the gearing of the rear diff which fixed the rear tyre wear problem on earlier models. I have had both variants and the post BMW ones are definitely the ones to go for.

A bit off topic, but I think it was the gearing in the IRD box that was changed not the rear diff. I've had earlier and later type IRD boxes apart and the ratio on the crownwheel and pinion is definitey different.