Head Skim

the electrician

Hi all, Hope everyone has had a great Christmas and looking forwards to a better new year.

I am about to remove the head of my 96 Discovery xs, a 300tdi.

After reading loads of threads on loads of different LandRover forums I have learnt that I have to adjust the tappets if I have the head skimmed, and that it would be foolish not to have the head skimmed.

I therefore will have to get it skimmed and presure tested, but where ?, does anybody know where I can get this done in either South London or Kent Or Surrey.

This seems like alot of grief and I haven't lifted a spanner yet.

Also, I am thinking Genuine LandRover head Gasket from Main Dealer..................any advice (Paddocks are out as they supply Britparts or is it pronouced sh*tparts ?).

Cheers

Gary.

What is your problem that leads you to take the head off in the first place?

Lots of people in the UK get the heads skimmed seemingly almost as standard, I am not really sure why. In the back of beyond like here there are simply not any facilities for doing stuff like that anywhere in the country, so people simply don't bother. Unless a head has been properly cooked and warped, it never seems to cause a problem, in fact I can't recall the last time we changed a Tdi head gasket at work that failed afterwards and that's in 13 years. The only head gasket I can think of that we ever had a problem with was on a Mermaid marine diesel engine and that was eventually found to be due to a faulty torque wrench after the second one failed, torque wrench went in the bin for a new one and the third time it was fine.

If it has been warped due to overheating, you are better off binning it and getting another head (whether new or used).

Genuine head gasket every time for me. Follow the book, and use a decent torque wrench.

My suggestion would be that you should always adjust the tappets after having the head off, whether skimmed or not, but as above, I am not clear on what your problem is? Overheating? Compression loss? Pressurising cooling system?

"Lots of people in the UK get the heads skimmed seemingly almost as standard, I am not really sure why. In the back of beyond like here there are simply not any facilities for doing stuff like that anywhere in the country, so people simply don't bother. Unless a head has been properly cooked and warped"

Would have to agree with the above about heads being skimmed, only ever had one skimmed and that was after it was well cooked. Just changed a headgasket for a friend and first thing he said was "where do i get it skimmed", i asked him why he wanted it skimming answer was, dont know but every one says on forums get it skimmed. I would think a investment in a good straight edge may be beneficial to a lot of people.

Also agree with the comment about tappets being adjusted after a rebuild, its not as if it takes forever to do, or you need a degree in engineering to find out how to do it. Why spend all that time stripping cleaning rebuilding and not set the tappets? just does not make sense TO ME.

Regards

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently used:

Modus Engine Services Ltd

Tel: 01892 863600

Speeds Farm, Farnham Lane, Langton Green, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN3 0JT

Speak to Jay and he'll know exactly what you are after. He will recommend a new set of valves, but this might not be necessary for you. I went the whole hog as I was having overheating problems and suffered a snapped timing belt, so had at least 3 bent valves...

Very good and quick service. Possibly not the cheapest, but definitely good. I have since found out that they are the company that LCP use for all of their 'head-work'...

Turner Engineering are Surrey way arent they? I thought that Land Rover advised that the 200 and 300 tdi heads should never be skimmed, so it would be worth investigating fully whether it has warped at all and needs skimming in the first place. Any of the machine shops suggested should presumably be able to test it first - flat edge and a feeler gauge....