V8 downpipes ?

Does anyone know if the discovery twin downpipes pre cat , when bolted upto 3.9i manifolds in a 110 will align with the top side of the gearbox cross member? The rangerover ones point straight at the crossmember. I have an existing pair of mild steel downpipes (not modified) which need replacement fitted and am trying to identify what they originally fitted ?

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if the discovery twin downpipes pre cat , when bolted upto 3.9i manifolds in a 110 will align with the top side of the gearbox cross member? The rangerover ones point straight at the crossmember. I have an existing pair of mild steel downpipes (not modified) which need replacement fitted and am trying to identify what they originally fitted ?

Hi did you sort this out? I'm trying to find out which will fit my 90 with a 4.0, cheers mike

I have this set up on my 90 and yes it does work, however I did need to change the chassis cross member to the range rover classic version otherwise the pipes will hit the 90 chassis cross member. My Y peice flange back is TD5.

Well worth doing as it seems to improve the exhaust flow and is nice and quiet.

Toby

I have this set up on my 90 and yes it does work, however I did need to change the chassis cross member to the range rover classic version otherwise the pipes will hit the 90 chassis cross member. My Y peice flange back is TD5.

Well worth doing as it seems to improve the exhaust flow and is nice and quiet.

Toby

That's the set up I'd heard of disco downpipes and td5 defender back. So do the downpipes go over the top or under the crossmember? Also which downpipes did you use, range classics and 3.9 disco have 2 into 1 downpipes and 4.0 disco have a single tube downpipes, if that makes sense

I have 3.9efi down pipes (4 pipes) from a range rover classic and a crossmember from the same vehicle, this bolts to a 90 TD5 midbox and tailpipe. I had to make a home made centre hanger (easy to do) and modify the back hanger. It hangs off TD5 rubber hangers now which eliminates vibration. The exhaust seemed (I cannot prove) to improves the engines ability to rev and makes it quiet without loosing the V8 noise. I would say that it improves the fuel consumption, but with a 4.2 V8 I won't bother!!!

If you wait until the Devon weather stops P*****g down, I will take some pictures. My manifolds are heavily ported and flowed (to match the V8D heads) which may be where some of the gains come from.

Toby

I have 3.9efi down pipes (4 pipes) from a range rover classic and a crossmember from the same vehicle, this bolts to a 90 TD5 midbox and tailpipe. I had to make a home made centre hanger (easy to do) and modify the back hanger. It hangs off TD5 rubber hangers now which eliminates vibration. The exhaust seemed (I cannot prove) to improves the engines ability to rev and makes it quiet without loosing the V8 noise. I would say that it improves the fuel consumption, but with a 4.2 V8 I won't bother!!!

If you wait until the Devon weather stops P*****g down, I will take some pictures. My manifolds are heavily ported and flowed (to match the V8D heads) which may be where some of the gains come from.

Toby

Cheers Toby my emails little_landy@hotmail.com if you want to email them, mike

Will do, but you will need to wait until the weekend, just got to go to Israel for a couple of days. Work getting in the way yet again!

Toby

No probs, I'll pm you. Do you know off hand if it goes above or below the crossmember? I wouldn't fancy it going below the crossmember cheers agin mike