Dual/Twin Alternator set-up 200tdi

Hey,

I have a 110 with a discovery 200tdi engine. I would like to install a second alternator to provide some redundancy while on trips, and for some additional current without requiring a heavy duty alternator (which I would only kill anyway, and would rather only need to swap cheap 65amp alts lol)

I have read the most convienient place is where the current air con unit goes. So I intend to fabricate a bracket to fit it there. I am not sure how the belt would work. I have a spare groove on the crank pulley for the air con, I take it there is a tensioner for that belt to route it? Also would the alternator rev correctly?

Sorry for all the questions. I know lots have done this conversion before, but I am struggling to find pictures and information of there installations. Any help would be brilliant :)

(p.s. just drove 80 miles without the alternator charging :( )

Cheers

Adam

Hey,

I have a 110 with a discovery 200tdi engine. I would like to install a second alternator to provide some redundancy while on trips, and for some additional current without requiring a heavy duty alternator (which I would only kill anyway, and would rather only need to swap cheap 65amp alts lol)

I have read the most convienient place is where the current air con unit goes. So I intend to fabricate a bracket to fit it there. I am not sure how the belt would work. I have a spare groove on the crank pulley for the air con, I take it there is a tensioner for that belt to route it? Also would the alternator rev correctly?

Sorry for all the questions. I know lots have done this conversion before, but I am struggling to find pictures and information of there installations. Any help would be brilliant :)

(p.s. just drove 80 miles without the alternator charging :( )

Cheers

Adam

Very simple.. give gwyn lewis a ring.... pay over the phone and wait a day or two. fit within seconds and happy motoring :D

I have read that a couple of times, lots of links to it. But it doesn't really explain anything about the mechanics of the coversion, how to mount it, route the belt, getting the right RPM etc etc. Does anyone have any information on that?

I have read that a couple of times, lots of links to it. But it doesn't really explain anything about the mechanics of the coversion, how to mount it, route the belt, getting the right RPM etc etc. Does anyone have any information on that?

Does this help?

post-1650-126269345029_thumb.jpg

Its a disco 200tdi (engine :) ). I machined up a bracket to hold the alternator, and all the other bits eg the extra parts (tho would not be too hard to make) like the idler pulley came from an disco with air con.

I not a sparky But from what i understand you can not have two alternators charging the same battery, for long periods of time, unless both alternators are perfectly matched output, speed etc.. they end up competing with each other and one will cook.

I have two batteries each with its own alternator. One battery is for the winches the other is for the rest of the car. The alternators are standard 75 amp disco ones both charge at 14 and bit amp. (I have volt meter that i can swtich between the alternators).

Very pleased with the set up works a treat for what i need and gives me redundancy.

I not a sparky But from what i understand you can not have two alternators charging the same battery, for long periods of time, unless both alternators are perfectly matched output, speed etc.. they end up competing with each other and one will cook.

I have two batteries each with its own alternator. One battery is for the winches the other is for the rest of the car. The alternators are standard 75 amp disco ones both charge at 14 and bit amp. (I have volt meter that i can swtich between the alternators).

Very pleased with the set up works a treat for what i need and gives me redundancy.

Just a couple of quick questions on your setup (its what i plan to do) One alternator as normal to one battery, the other alternator to a second battery. There is no connection between batteries at all? Have you just earthed them both on the gearbox or used different earth points (dont know if that matters at all)? I plan to use on as normal like you and the other for a second fusebox for auxillary electrics.

Just a couple of quick questions on your setup (its what i plan to do) One alternator as normal to one battery, the other alternator to a second battery. There is no connection between batteries at all? Have you just earthed them both on the gearbox or used different earth points (dont know if that matters at all)? I plan to use on as normal like you and the other for a second fusebox for auxillary electrics.

yes both batteries have a common earth.. can be any thing In my case its a cable between the two (and the car main is earthed in the normal way) I have this setup so if loose an alternator i can very quick connect the two batteries in parallel and crack on.

I also have setup two battery charge lights for each alternator, they come on with the ing and go off when the alt's start charging.

Best to have common earth so you dont end up with 24V some where by mistake :)

yes both batteries have a common earth.. can be any thing In my case its a cable between the two (and the car main is earthed in the normal way) I have this setup so if loose an alternator i can very quick connect the two batteries in parallel and crack on.

I also have setup two battery charge lights for each alternator, they come on with the ing and go off when the alt's start charging.

Best to have common earth so you dont end up with 24V some where by mistake :)

Great. Thanks. I hadnt thought of simply joining the two negative terminals up!

Ordered mine from Gwyn lewis today. I'm all up for making stuff myself but things like this its so nice to fit and forget. With all the parts you need on the shelve (bracket, Belts, Alternator, pulley).. Again big thanks to Gwyn...

Thanks for that :)

Was the set-up from gwyn lewis for the 200tdi? If so I will do the same as my welding skills are not quite up to the job just yet!

I plan on using my 100amp alternator to run the vehicle lighting, fans, radio and winch via a numax leisure battery. and the other (standard 65amp) alternator will run the main battery and starting circuits only. I have a x-charge that will only link them in the event of a alt failure :)