Safe rear seats for Children in a 90

As the title says, is there any seating that is safe for use with child seats for the back of a 90? Little ones are currently 3.5yrs & 5 weeks old.

I know the inward facing ones aren't, but am finding conflicting information on the front facing ones.

The other alternative is to get a 110, but most have the low back rear seats, so ££ required to change over.

Currently have a 110 on loan for a few days to test out the Defender experience again, but the 110CSW feels huge compared to my old 90 :o

I solved the same problem by permanently fitting two standard front seats (driver and passenger, not centre seat) forward facing in the rear, as far to the outside as I could to maximise the space down the middle, however, they do not fold away.

I made up my own brackets from 50mm angle bolted through 75mm x 5mm cross- straps on top to the wheel box and through floor with 75mm x 5mm spreaders underneath. I fitted Exmoor seat belt kits to rear bodywork and seat brackets.

The whole lot was tested by doing some emergency stops with me in the seat (16st). It also passed MoT with me asking the tester to look hard at what I had done. Compared to standard front seat fixing, the ones on the rear are much beefier. My kids are 3 and 1. I am happy for this setup to last for a couple of years before going to a 110.

I could do some pics if that would be helpful and it was warmer outside

There is a lot of good stuff on Jimmy Neutron's thread here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=23208&st=0. Jimmy put in fold away seats, which sit much closer to the middle than mine, but can of course, be folded away, which mine cannot.

Regards

Richard

Thanks guys, food or thought.

Richard - pictures would be useful when you have a moment thanks. No rush though, I'm still at early negotiation stages with the garage about a 90, so it'll be a few weeks before its on the drive :)

We had an Exmoor trim seat in the back of previous defender, and excellent bit of kit, it passed MOT etc however I am not sure I would use it with

child seats, we have a two year old and another in production so tend to take current child out with just me in car seat on passenger seat, no idea what we are going to do when next one arrives.

This is not a fault of exmoor trim i just lost my nerve with it.................i know stupid nervous first child etc.

hate to say it but when i had that issue i purchased a barge (As Mo puts it!) and very practical it is too for this purpose.

I was heading that way James, but SWMBO has said she has no desire to go out in it, so whilst this stance may soften, it wouldn't be more than a handful of outings a year, hence why I've gone back to the 90 idea with seats.

My 3.5yr old and I have just had a boys trip out for a couple of hours laning in the snow in the borrowed 110, reminded me why I love LR's, and obviously a 90 is fine for boys trips out.