twin batteries in a 90 300tdi

That should work well, but it would be best to have and automatic switch for it. As least for me manual switching (or using the alternator sense wire) will lead to a dead battery at some point.

yes. I'm think of using a relay like this to control the larger relay. Otherwise I'll use the alternator to feed the relay.

I now got 2 Optima Yellow top, and I'm not quite sure whether to split them with a relay or not :) I'm not quite sure if the alternator in my 300 tdi can charge two batteries like this

with the x-eng x-charge system do you need any other electrics as mentioned above?

You have two choices (being discussed above).

1) Switch the relay using the alternator charge light circuit. The relay will close (connecting the batteries) whenever the alternator is working (charge light is OUT). So no other equipment needed.

2) Use a split charge controller to switch the relay. These sense the voltage and open the relay once the battery has reached a certain charge level.

For either system, you can add manual switches to either force the relay open or closed.