Chipping / Mapping

SXPHIL

I run the Subaru Impreza Drivers Club [www.sidc.co.uk] and most Impreza's are mapped one way or another

So my question is what is the thoughts re the Disco II 2.5 Diesel Engine and what and how it can be improved

I have seen ebay items claiming better BHP and Fuel Consumption from £75 but have reservations regarding this

There are plenty of tuners who deal with the various "2.5 Diesel Engines" fitted to Discoverys, from the mechanical injection 200Tdi and 300Tdi, the electronically managed EDC derivative of the 300Tdi, and the Td5. Which version are you trying to tune up? Apart from the Discovery 3/4 they are all 2.5 litres but the options available are quite different depending on what you are looking at.

As with most things you get what you pay for, £75 on ebay is probably about enough for a set of fuel magnets and a hacked up baked beans lid to go in the air intake to chop up the lumps that the turbo missed :lol:

Pretty well catered for in that case, IRB Developments/Bell Autos push them over 200bhp (standard Discovery Td5 is 136bhp) with remapping and a soopa doopa intercooler. I think Allard, Jeremy Fearn, Allisport etc all do stuff so there is a load of choice. Don't really know what I would get if I had a Td5, but as I don't have one and am unlikely to ever buy one I haven't given it much thought.

I run the Subaru Impreza Drivers Club [www.sidc.co.uk] and most Impreza's are mapped one way or another

So my question is what is the thoughts re the Disco II 2.5 Diesel Engine and what and how it can be improved

I have seen ebay items claiming better BHP and Fuel Consumption from £75 but have reservations regarding this

nice i use an RB320 as my everyday car (mostly when in town)got about 350bhp now :rolleyes: what kind of Sti You got? I just got my 4.0 V8 disco superchipped was well worth it :D

Do you know if there is a Colin McRae scooby coming out? They should make one but i dont like the hatch, it has spoilt a nice car an astra looks better than it :(

• 3 months later...

If you are serious about having a new map then you should also be prepared to get the car on a rolling road dyno. I've had a few of my ECU's mapped by the Master himself Mr Mark Adams...but it was only when he came to Dubai recently and had the Disco on a rolling road that he released the full potencial of the new map.

The car is just much more tractable across the entire rev range, the torque figures are up, the HP numbers are up and to top it all the fuel economy is also better.

Wish i had the money to get it done mine is totally stock.

i thought the same initially - but then worked out the fuel savings.

Our td5 manual now its chipped regularly returns 31mpg overall. Before it was about 27mpg

thats basically a 10% improvement.

Last year we did 18000 miles. Previously that would have used 670 gallons of diesel, which costs £3400 of diesel at todays prices.

But now we get that decent improvement in mpg we saved about £350 in diesel. Paid for itself in less than a year and gives a much more pleasurable drive.

Will probably be doing simillar mileage again this year - so the savings in diesel will pay for its servicing costs :P