Electrickery Help Please!

bishbosh

I have a pair of Motorola T289 Talkabouts (late 90's vintage!) that I acquired in Canada and have been living in a box for about 10 years.

The chargers for them are obviously 110V and although I have a large mains step down transformer, I want to get hold of a charger that ideally I can use in the car.

So far I have had no joy with our friend Google, so can any of you electrickery gurus help me out?

The charger has a fancy LED display on the back (totally unnecessary I am sure) and look like this.:

post-121-126333257439_thumb.jpg post-121-1263332570_thumb.jpg

post-121-126333257119_thumb.jpg post-121-126333256751_thumb.jpg

Anyone point me at a 12V equivalent please? It is about time I started using the PMR's again!

Yes I know I could buy new PMRs for little money, but what fun is that? tongue.gif

the important bit is the output voltage/current of whatever charger you can find, it needs to be output of 4.2 volts DC 400Ma [milliamps] anything higher will just trash the transciever & the batteries, a lower output current would just mean the batts will take much longer to recharge.

plus just so your well informed ---

Check the frequencies comply with the UK freq's for PMR, if they don't you may need a PMR business licence to operate or run the risk of a OFCOM investigators visit. -- see attached page for the units frequencies

& found a owners handbook here http://www.usersmanualguide.com/motorola/2-way_radio/t289

the UK PMR frequencies are

There are eight 12.5 kHz simplex frequencies, which you may use anywhere in the

UK. These frequencies have been harmonised (but not necessarily authorised) for

use across Europe. The channel centre frequencies are:

1. 446.00625 MHz

2. 446.01875 MHz

3. 446.03125 MHz

4. 446.04375 MHz

5. 446.05625 MHz

6. 446.06875 MHz

7. 446.08125 MHz

8. 446.09375 MHz

no licence required for equipment on these 8 frequencies. more info on UK PMR http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/business_radio/information/ofw57/ofw57.pdf

post-20-126333495193_thumb.jpg

If the charging circuits are in that device, then you are stuck using it. At 6 Watts any cheap 120V inverter would work in the car. $10 or so around here. Not sure what you do on the wrong side of the pond. eBay maybe.

Here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-DC-to-AC-adapter-Car-Power-Converter-INVERTER_W0QQitemZ380183527048QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5884b43e88

Maplins may have somethink

Does Mr Bish's elastiktrikery skills run to finding out what voltages appear where using a multimeter? The plug has three poles (metal contacts) which is unusual. I think the one nearest the wire will be ground (0V), one will be the charger output and the third is possibly a sensor back to the charger control circuit (especially given the stern warning about battery types - it will be optimised for that particular battery's chardging characteristics. Three pole connectors on wall warts are quite unusual, so you may not find anything. Have you looked on Eblag and the like?

It looks to me like the charging circuitry itself is in the wall charger. The 3rd pole on the connector will be a temperature sensor of some sort.

The easiest thing to do would be to buy a 110v inverter.

I suspect the PSU inside is actually variable allowing the charging circuitry control the current into the batteries. From the size, I'd guess switched mode - with a bit of electrickery, you could 'fool' this into operating on 12vdc. I couldn't say whether it would work for sure though.

I have a charger similar to this: eBay linky. I originally bought it to charge NiMH batteries for an electric skateboard. However, I use it now regularly to charge virtually any kind of battery. All it requires is a 10-14v input, and it will charge pretty much anything to a total voltage of around 24v (yes! from a 12v input.)

Thanks folks.

I have a 110V inverter that I can use in the house and I bought an ebay car inverter special - advertised as 110V - got it, used it, killed one of my chargers :(

Closer inspection of the ebay listing shows the title as 110V but the text lower down (didn't read ph34r.gif ) as 220V output mad.gifmad.gif .

Anyhow, it would appear it is all academic as party pooper tongue.gif Ralph's link shows the frequencies to be naughty so I shall probably post them to a friend in Canada who can give them a home.

Thanks all.