New wheels

This has probably been covered but.....

Im thinking of putting Silver modulars on my 90. Currently has 16" rims...think they are the standard white defender wheels which are ok but not overly keen.

What is the best size tyre for the job, it has 235/85/16 BF Goodrich AT's on at the minute but they are getting low so I wondered what else will fit if I change the wheels too.

Apologies if its completely repetetive.

Thanks in advance

neil.

You have a choice of sizes if you want modulars - 7x16, 7x15 and 8x15 and possible 10x15 so you can fit most sizes one way or another. Think about what you want to achieve first, i.e. on road manners, narrow tyres to cut down in clay etc, wide tyres for flotation on peat etc, and that will help define what you want/need.

Thanks for that.

It will be mostly road work, apart from this Mac 4x4 thing im off on it will only go off road occassionaly, maybe a little green lane trip or something so either BF Goodrich AT's or General Grabber AT2's will be for me.....i run these on my other car and they have always been good.

I have a set of steel spokes which I may use rather than buy more wheels but not sure what size they are. They are 16" rims again but at a guess I would say they are 8" wide. To confirm do I just measure the width of the bare rim?

Neil.

To confirm do I just measure the width of the bare rim?

Neil.

Yes, from inside the rim flange on both sides.

Alternatively the wheel size may actually be stamped on the rim somewhere, look at both inside and outside around the rim and also on the face/spokes of the rim.

HTH.

Mark.

yes it does help....after digging through a field of mud the size has been revealed, it is a 7.

so whats the max size for that as the tyres on this one is just a 205/80/16 and I prefer a wider tyre, i have a brand new pair of General Grabber AT2's at 265/70/16, would i assume they are just too wide for these rims?

yes it does help....after digging through a field of mud the size has been revealed, it is a 7.

so whats the max size for that as the tyres on this one is just a 205/80/16 and I prefer a wider tyre, i have a brand new pair of General Grabber AT2's at 265/70/16, would i assume they are just too wide for these rims?

A 265/70R16 tyre has rim width limits of 7.0" to 9.0" with an optimum rim width of 8.0" for that tyre.

6.5" is the optimum rim size for a 235/85R16 with rim width limits of 6.0" to 7.0".

Regards,

Mark