Loss of power / Stalling

Hi All

Why do things go wrong when its cold & wet !!!!

Vehicle: Defender 110

Year: 1999

Engine: 300 TDI

Problem.

While driving along quite happily when using a bit of acceleration the vehicle just cuts out/dies or seems to then as soon as you release your foot off the accelerator pedal it carrys on going not at speed just at whatever the peddle is at. Its not specfic to any gear just acceleration.

Its had a new air filter and a new fuel filter as it feels like its being starved of fuel somehow, almost as if a fuel pipe is being sucked flat and on release of the pedal its returning to shape. I've lubed up the fuel filler cap to try prevent any vacume forming in the tank.

Any ideas?

Cheers people.

Its had a new air filter and a new fuel filter as it feels like its being starved of fuel somehow, almost as if a fuel pipe is being sucked flat and on release of the pedal its returning to shape. I've lubed up the fuel filler cap to try prevent any vacume forming in the tank.

Any ideas?

Cheers people.

I'd put my money on the fuel lift pump....

I too would suggest fuel lift pump. Mine went and did the same sort of symptoms, but worse. I replaced it with a cheap one from paddocks - £20 ish from memory. Don’t bother - I replaced it Sept 2009 and it fell apart in Dec 2009! Ended up buying an original from LR (£80 ish). Although they looked identical the LR one was approximately 50% heavier - clearly better quality.

Just thought I would let you know.

Nick

Well, having been out for a test run it did have a short repeat of before but for now seems to have sorted itself out. All I can think of for that was I hadn't managed to bleed all of the air from the system.

Only time will tell.

Many thanks for people time and suggestions.

Ian

Well, having been out for a test run it did have a short repeat of before but for now seems to have sorted itself out. All I can think of for that was I hadn't managed to bleed all of the air from the system.

Only time will tell.

Many thanks for people time and suggestions.

Ian

Hi Ian, by the looks of it your problem is not entirely solved yet ?

Try the following if not already done :-

1) Check the intercooler hoses and turbo pipes - if their internals are weakened they could be sucked closed.

2) turbo waste gate actuator - although this seems unlikely, try and clean the actuator rod from any pitting etc.

Good luck

Wikus

Its happened a few more times today, I thought the fuel lift had solved the problem but alas no. Its seems strange how it is intermitant making it rather dificult to track down the pronblem. So far replaced the air filter, fuel filter and fuel lift pump along with making sure the fuel cap is breathing. Would the EGR setup cause any of these problems??????

• 1 month later...

The problem I thought I'd solved has returned with a vengance to the point I had to be recovered home today :(

In trying to sort this problem out I have:

Replaced the lift with a new delphi part

New fuel filter

New air filter

Taken fuel cap to bits and lubricated

Had fuel filler and breather pipes off to check they are clear

Turbo hoses off and checked for delamination

Could this problem somehow have anything to do with factory fitted 2 button alarm?

Any help would be appreciated

Here we go. Charged up the battery and broom away it went, I'm not falling for that though as its just a little trick to make me go out and break down again. Who says cars dont have personality!!!

So its had a some surgery at the rear end !

Fuel tank drained and the fuel was clean.

Tank removed, flushed with fresh diesel and all pipes blown through with air.

Fuel lines blown through and all old fuel removed er on the garage floor lol as it shot out and missed the bucket.

All now replaced.

Had the EGR thing off the top of the fuel pump all seems ok.

Checked for 12V on the fuel stop solenoid which I have (with ignition on) and can here it click when the wire touched to male spade terminal on top.

Its running again, I'm just expecting it to do its thing again just once I'm far enough away from home for it to be a pain in rear.

Any other suggestions from anyone please.

Thank you

Here we go. Charged up the battery and broom away it went, I'm not falling for that though as its just a little trick to make me go out and break down again. Who says cars dont have personality!!!

So its had a some surgery at the rear end !

Fuel tank drained and the fuel was clean.

Tank removed, flushed with fresh diesel and all pipes blown through with air.

Fuel lines blown through and all old fuel removed er on the garage floor lol as it shot out and missed the bucket.

All now replaced.

Had the EGR thing off the top of the fuel pump all seems ok.

Checked for 12V on the fuel stop solenoid which I have (with ignition on) and can here it click when the wire touched to male spade terminal on top.

Its running again, I'm just expecting it to do its thing again just once I'm far enough away from home for it to be a pain in rear.

Any other suggestions from anyone please.

Thank you

AA Membership!!!!!biggrin.gif (sorry Ian!!!)

Hi Ian,

I have had a similar problem on a 1987 LR90, I know my reply will make many smile but I was on here for weeks trying to sort out my problem, being new to the delights of old Landys, so here goes, simple I know but do you have fuel? my fuel gauge said I had half a tank, but it wasn't until after I had replaced fuel lines, bled the injectors, 2 new fuel filters and countless nights of "oh god what have I bought?" did we realise that it was running on fumes, which was ok in idle but out on the road it just went ppppppppppppT and stopped, so finally I replaced the fuel lifter/sender?(can't remember the proper name for it, looks like a ballcock in a toilet) in the fuel tank which now tells me I have or have not got fuel. No-one on the forum suggested this, many thanks though for all the input I did get, but it may be simple?

Hope you sort it dude, Cheers Paul

Thanks for your post Paul

When I removed the tank there was close to 25 liters of diesel in it and I checked to make sure the pick up wasn,t cut short. It was just a bout 5 mm off the bottom of the tank.

Thanks for the thought as all suggestions are being investigated.