help no heater fan motor!!

Hi all,

I have had a rather annoying problem with my in car heat (or lack of)in my 1996 90csw.

The problem started approx three weeks ago, with the in car heater fan only working intermittently, <_<

ie not working for miles then suddenly cutting in, :huh: then it would work ok for a few days and then

the burning smell started,which seemed to come from the area of the heater box under the bonnet on

the nearside. Now the heater is not working at all. Any ideas where to start with the diagnosis of

what is the most likely failed component? :)

Many thanks Jen.

I would put good money on it that the fan motor has burned out or seized. Just like mine!

Try undowing the screws that hold the intake grille down ontop of the n/s wing. When the grille is removed put your hand inside the wing and try and move the fan. If it moves freely then its likely the motor/fan is ok and the burning smell and lack of fan spinning is due to another electrical fault.

Western told me this only yesterday!

Easy enough job to do, just don't be tempted to use a secondhand motor as who is to say that won't fail again soon? New motors are cheap enough (about £40) and you will need new foam seals as well (don't use silicon or similar as it makes removing the heaterbox a real pain in the future).

Could also be the ballast resistor, mounted under a small plate on top of the fan housing, burning out, but low speed should still work if this were true.

You can sometimes free up a stuck or sluggish motor with a liberal application of WD40, but it won't fix a burnt out one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Stopped snowing long enough to be tempted outside(wimp :ph34r: )!

Blokes are marvelous things aren't they, especially when they carry out Landy repairs

that cost nothing, yes Nothing! :blink:

Anyway enough praise or he'll get bigheaded.

Seems that the dodgy/intermittent/burning smell/etc etc were all down to a dodgy

connection.

Wires had worked loose and connector full of gunk & corosion.

The two halves of the old connector are now "welded" together with melted plastic,hence the smell.

New connector block & copious amounts of insulating tape later and a bodge to be proud of. :D

Still im very lucky that the 90 didnt go up in smoke as the heater would burst

into life ,if i had not turned it off when it failed, (soon remembered when the smell started!)