Engine Hoist Questions

sotal

I bought a second hand engine hoist last year, and it did a perfect job of removing my gearbox,

but when I came to put it back in the other day it didn't do a perfect job!

I put the chains around the gearbox and lifted it up, it got about 3 inches up then wouldn't lift any more, I lowered it back down took the chains off etc and loosened the bit to allow it to lower, once all the way down I lifted it by hand all the way to the top and back down a few times, then tightened the release bit and it pumped up fine, so I lifted the gearbox to a good height. Then left it for half an hour or so while I moved the cars around to give enough room, but then when I got to putting it in I could have done with being an inch or so higher but it wouldn't go up, it just pumps with no resistance, by leaning on the back of the gearbox I managed to get it in and connected up, and I haven't touched the hoist since.

There are no signs of any leaks, my father in law suggested that the cold weather may have caused it?

Do I need to top it up or something?? Excuse the retarded question but how do I top it up? Anything else to check?

It could be the seals inside the piston unit itself. I had a similar experience with a trolley jack - it would raise and lower quite happily with no load on, but when loaded it wouldn't even lift the spare wheel, let alone the car. It went back for investigation and I received a completely new jack in return from Machine Mart.

Sounds like you might have a similar problem...

Bit more info on the make/model and/or a picture of it might help others provide a bit more info on refilling, or known problems...

Do I need to top it up or something?? Excuse the retarded question but how do I top it up? Anything else to check?

There should be a rubber bung covering a small hole approx half way up the ram. Carefully (not with the sharpest screwdriver in your toolbox!)pull out the bung and this is where you top it up with oil. With the ram in an upright closed position pour in oil until level with the hole and then insert bung. Pump ram up and down a few times to make sure any air is released from the ram and it should work fine.

If it still doesnt work then it will need seals inside ram replacing. Ask the manufacture for a repair kit (mine cost £7) which comes with all seals and non-return valve, strip down ram and replace seals etc with new kit. My Clarke CFC1000 is like new now ;)

EDIT just noticed yours the same. if you require seal kit (part no CFC10032) call Clarke parts on 0208 558 6696

Manual http://www.clarkeservice.co.uk/manuals/engine_cranes/cfc1000.pdf

Yes mine wouldnt pump up properly and leaked oil around the release point. Hence renewing all seals and non return valve inside.

If your pumping away and nothings happening it could be air in the ram or the non return valve not working. First thing you should do is top it up with oil and pump it up and down a few times to clear any trapped air. Try that before stripping it down.

Will do, there is no sign of any leaks at all.

I pumped it up and down by hand twice I think and it started working so hopefully it is just trapped air. I'll try and get a bottle of fluid and top it up.

Thanks again for the help

The ram needs to be filled with oil to the filler/vent rubber plug. If the ram is only half full of oil then it will only pump up half way, this is why you need to make sure its full of oil before use. Nothing worse than lifting out an engine and you need an extra inch or two to clear :rolleyes:

Just went and took that rubber bung out, there was a large hiss of air as it was removed, I then moved the arm all the way up and back down, no oil came out and I can't see any so it must be a bit low, as the arm went down there was a lot of gurgling noises.

I then replaced the bung and tried it, I lifted something fairly light - 70kgs ish on the longest setting and it went all the way up no problem.

So it looks good - will get some more oil and top up though

Im currently having the same problem with my clarke crane and have spoken to machinemart technical blokes and they said to top it up and lift the boom up by hand to full height and then add a small weight and lower with the bung removed do this a few times then check the level again and try pumping it up!

Im currently having the same problem with my clarke crane and have spoken to machinemart technical blokes and they said to top it up and lift the boom up by hand to full height and then add a small weight and lower with the bung removed do this a few times then check the level again and try pumping it up!

I've a Clarke hoist and (for once) machine mart are spot on. If it's been stood, or laid flat it seems as if the oil needs 'priming'.

I do just what they advised; lift arm by hand then let it return. It'll go about half way down and will then pump. I then pump it up and down a couple of time to ensure all is well (might be something soft and squishy, like me, underneath blink.gif ).