TD4 Auto MPG

M005

What mpg are others getting?

Mostly A road driving, some town work and some short <4mile journeys.

MPG has dropped since the first tank, which I always find is unusually high as you get familiar with the vehicle.

MPG's are;

It's not driven particularly hard either.

We got it in September and unless I've missed one or two these are all the fill ups since :lol: So whilst I'd like more mpg it's hardly going to break the bank :D

You didn't say what vintage the car is. I have an 04 reg TD4 auto and get over 35mpg although I don't do much town driving. Journey to work about 7 miles along country roads plus some motorway work. What I would say is that it always seems a bit gutless after having a 52reg TD4 manual. I don't know if it's the gearing being higher in an auto but the manual used to soar up local hills whilst this one changes down near the top. The garage says there is nothing wrong with it. :rolleyes:

not sure about mine but i think it is only top 20's

i think the cold weather is partly to blame and i have been 'playing' in the snow.

my annual mileage is only about 6k so i won't be a good test on this tho!

i have only had mine a few months, i was hoping for at least middle 30's. think i must have a heavy right foot :rolleyes:

Just another thought but are you aware that the TD4 auto box is programmed to stay in low gear when it's first started if the weather is cold so that it warms up the gearbox oil quicker? This results in quite high consumption for a few miles especially on cold days. So what I do is to drive the first mile or so in manual until it's in 5th and then switch over to auto. I live in a valley and unless I do this I am screaming up the hill in 2nd for the first mile or so in auto. By putting in in manual I can get up the hill in 4th.

Hope this helps

i knew it took a while to warm up which partly explains why the mpg is less on my fairly short journeys in this cold weather.

i have also switched to premium fuel [eg BP Ultimate], not the standard derv, and i think the higher cetene levels have helped improve mpg and made it smoother. i have also disabled the egr, only by blocking off the vacumn pipe, still it has made it pick up better.

i think the mpg has climbed from top 20's to lower 30's. i'll fill up over the weekend and check the maths then!

i have also disabled the egr, only by blocking off the vacumn pipe, still it has made it pick up better.

If you're looking to replace the EGR valve altogether I highly recommend these-

EGR Bypass Kit on eBay

Just fitted one on my 2006 TD4 Manual, easy to fit (20mins) and has improved the responsiveness and MPG greatly! Just remember to clean all the oily and sooty gunge out of the pipes around the EGR valve too when fitting the bypass!

ATB

Graham

If you're looking to replace the EGR valve altogether I highly recommend these-

EGR Bypass Kit on eBay

Just fitted one on my 2006 TD4 Manual, easy to fit (20mins) and has improved the responsiveness and MPG greatly! Just remember to clean all the oily and sooty gunge out of the pipes around the EGR valve too when fitting the bypass!

ATB

Graham

I've read the blurb on the above site and it sounds wonderfull, but are we sure it won't affect emissions at the next MOT?

I've read the blurb on the above site and it sounds wonderfull, but are we sure it won't affect emissions at the next MOT?

Diesels aren't tested for CO2 emissions at the moment only particulates (soot) so it shouldn't be a problem. It's very easy to refit the EGR valve anyway if required before MOT.

I drove mine on a 400+ mile round trip on Saturday including lots of stops and starts and got much MPG than I did before I fitted the bypass!

Diesels aren't tested for CO2 emissions at the moment only particulates (soot) so it shouldn't be a problem. It's very easy to refit the EGR valve anyway if required before MOT.

I drove mine on a 400+ mile round trip on Saturday including lots of stops and starts and got much MPG than I did before I fitted the bypass!

mine is still under a warranty so all i will do for the moment to take off the hose and if it is clogged give it a good clean. once the warranty runs out [in 9 months] i'll probably go for a by-pass thingy.

have you read this : http://tuning-diesels.com/75Zt/R75serv.htm#ss

it's worth a read. hope it helps.

Another fill up and 26mpg.

Agree that the auto is a little tardy when cold, so I do use the tiptronic, can't say the same for SWMBO though :ph34r:

Think I'll fit an EGR bypass and see what difference that makes.

I've tried a few bottles of redex through ti to try and clear it out, but hasn't made any difference.

Another fill up and 26mpg.

Agree that the auto is a little tardy when cold, so I do use the tiptronic, can't say the same for SWMBO though :ph34r:

Think I'll fit an EGR bypass and see what difference that makes.

I've tried a few bottles of redex through ti to try and clear it out, but hasn't made any difference.

mine flies along, even from cold.

suggest you forget the redex and just use premium diesel, probably cheaper in the long run and it has a higher cetane value.

i have also blocked the vacumn pipe to the egr - stops it working, clean the egr and don't bother with a by-pass kit IMHO

and i have fitted a synergy2 - big difference

all the above has transformed the drive with good mpg on run, typical mid to upper 20's on short town runs.

anyway - the above has worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2005 55plate TD4 HSE Auto with 26K miles, standard except for stainless steel sidestep pipes and 235/55 tyres instead of 225/55 17OE.

Living in the South Wales hills with lots of local narrow lanes is not helpful for good mileage in fact but the vehicle is checked each refill against gallons used and is consistent at 29 to 32. A recent 90 miles each way trip up the M4 to Reading presented 35.5 on the day, so I reckon we're OK with ours. The Auto box is quite nice and the performance is entirely acceptable for a diesel in all honesty.

My wife mostly drives the Freelander and she absolutely loves it from start to finish.

post-19742-127023239476_thumb.jpg

2005 55plate TD4 HSE Auto with 26K miles, standard except for stainless steel sidestep pipes and 235/55 tyres instead of 225/55 17OE.

Living in the South Wales hills with lots of local narrow lanes is not helpful for good mileage in fact but the vehicle is checked each refill against gallons used and is consistent at 29 to 32. A recent 90 miles each way trip up the M4 to Reading presented 35.5 on the day, so I reckon we're OK with ours. The Auto box is quite nice and the performance is entirely acceptable for a diesel in all honesty.

My wife mostly drives the Freelander and she absolutely loves it from start to finish.

I had an 05 plate HSE for 2.5 years from new to 55k miles averaged consumption was 24 generally round town with a heavy right foot, 28 on motorways again with a heavy right foot and about 21 towing a twin axle caravan.

I have a 2005 Td4 with about 145.000km on it. It drinks about 8,4 ltr/100km I think that is about 29mpg. I drive 35km to work and 35km back on the motorway. Also important to check your tyre pressure regualary.

• 6 months later...

Just goes to show the power of the information on a forum.

Just recently noticed the fuel consumption of my wifes freelander td4 auto was carp! 372 miles to a full tank. Mixed driving of school runs and one 170 mile motorway trip.

Having read all the great info on this subject I have just fitted a EGR bypass kit,and a diesel tuning chip from e-blag.

Egr first with all the gunk cleaner out from the air intake etc. It was absolutely filthy !! some areas had over 10mm of oil and gunk blocking up the intake !(2001 td4 with only 76k miles!)all taken off and cleaned in a parrafin tank etc. All put back together and taken for a blast, difference was fantastic ! ( Once all the black smoke had stopped :ph34r::D )The engine revs alot more freely and picks up so much better !

Then I added the piggy back chip and that made another noticeable difference ! Just 190 miles of the same type of driving for £20 !!

My wallet is much happier and I actually quite like driving her/ my car now !!

Thanks for all the info

Nath

• 5 months later...

hi just been on a 400 mile round yorkshire .it has been motorway moors town stop start fully loaded with family and gear . i reckon it used 50 liters which is £ 70 i feel like i have been mugged. what a country to live in at the moment the goverment would steal the aftershave off your face if it got the chance .i have a td4 auto o5 which was not great on mpg i have erg bypass and plug in play box fitted now so 40mpg is far better now. it pulls great and the gear change is far quicker. the bypass and plug in box have made it far nicer