LT230 Leak, Source?

Aragorn

So i've got myself a Disco2 transfer box for the defender, was looking at it last night, taking off all the disco cable gubbins and seeing what i needed to change to make it fit the defender.

I noticed a lot of oil around it so decided to investigate. Seems the handbrake drum is full of oil, so presumably the rear prop oil seal is needing changed? The "sump" pan is also very oilywet, so i guess it would be a good idea to reseal that too. I also need to change the front prop flange for a Defender one so i'll do the front seal at the same time.

My query is about the front housing.

DSC00393.JPG

As you can see there is black "goo" all over that side of the housing, and i'm wondering where its coming from. The other side is dry, the only gooey bit is whats in the photo... Is it likely to be the joint between the front housing and the main casing, or perhaps the hi-lo turret?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Heh thats typical.

Presumably i wont be able to tell if the hole is ovalled until i strip it down either?

Is the stripdown/rebuild something that can be done with a normal set of garage tools, or does it require various special pullers/widgets/etc?

I thaught these LT230's were supposed to be the only part of the transmission that landrover did right!

Th rebuild of a transfer case is much easier than for the transmission. There are a few special tools required but you can get around them or borrow a dial guage to get it set up correct. I am in process of rebuilding a spare and my temporary hold up is the need of a set of shims (not available here) otherwise I would have completed the job in a few days. The intermediate shaft is a small design flaw because it leaks when worn and the only way to get to it is by dropping the transfer case.

Cheers for that.

I think i'll go with the clean and RTV approach for now. Presumably it's not going to self-destruct, so i'll use it as is, and can perhaps look at a rebuilt replacement at some point in the future should it get worse.

I suspect the R380 is going to be the component i'll have trouble with, i cant see the high mileage TDi box i have lasting too long with 400nm running thru it!

Kev