V8 thermostat?

hattymender

Latest trick from cold is to warm up as usual, and then keep on going. Would go right into the red but (clever meunsure.gif ) I have a warning light set at 90 degrees. Pull up, give it exactly one cig to settle. And she's fine for rest of day. Only does it occasionally. But it's very annoying.

Top hose cold. So it's the themostat sticking closed?

Can be airlocking, mine did this for a while 'cos the non-gen stats don't have an air bleed hole in the top dry.gif and the plumbing on my truck means there's nowhere else for it to go.

Air locking would explain intermittent occurrence but it's not been touched in 10K miles. Would have thought it'd have played up before now?

Or when buying critical parts pay the extra & buy a genuine one. Least it will fit & have the right number of holes.

Learnt that a long time ago with stats on a 3 litre Scimitar. Genuine ones had a bleed hole, pattern ones didn't. Car would happily boil sitting on tickover :( Non genuine headgaskets (but a well known make that sounds like agony) were carp too - lasted all of 300 miles.

Same with rotor arms & dizzy caps on the rover V8. Pattern ones are a fraction of the price but are often the cause of the new fault!

• 2 months later...

After a delay of only three months I think it's sorted.

Two new thermostats, a radiator cap and a radiator swap and no improvement. In a desperate throw before taking heads off to check gaskets I set about a thermostat with side snips and cut off wiggle pin thing.

(I assumed that the 'expensive' type with hole and wiggle pin would bleed)

Carefully filled radiator and started her up. Now I must confess that I've never heard a hippo fart (not that common in Yorkshire) but the V8 tried it's best to do an impression. Stunned and bemused expressions all around!

Poor little thing just needed winding! A good burp and she's happy againsmile.gif

When I checked the ball on the wiggle pin it's a good sphere. So good that it actually seals very well, obviously not letting air through when under pressure from water pump.

Many thanks for the advice. Sorry I took so long to listen