Exhaust conversion kits 200tdi.

kingdong2

Hi guys

my mate has decided to go 200 tdi does anyone know if the exhaust conversion kits you see on ebay connect to a std series exhaust or do they connect to a larger bore exhaust its just my mate doesn't want to go the steve parker route as i did with mine as he won't have the funds to cover it aswell as doing the engine conversion and he has just recently replaced his petrol exhaust with a new one.

cheers

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

ar yeh i forgot about that i got mixed up with di and tdi as we where talking about going di before we decided on going tdi and still had it in my head as reguards the exhaust going di.

right ok how about these kits joining to a disco 1 tdi exhaust my idea is to use a disco exhaust and make it fit the s111 swb has anyone done this.

cheers

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

Out of the turbo you want an adaptor to clamp the disco front section into the turbo. then a 90 down and over the chassis rail, sweep the front pipe from the disco down the footwell, below bulkhead outrigger, flatten out under the floor into discovery back box and out just below the door infront of the wheel.

Job done, 1 Front pipe and 1 back box.

My 88's exhaust is built out of Steve's front and second pipes, and a mixture of 90 TD parts from there on. It all works reasonably well...just got a few rattles which I'm gradually clamping.

Now, I'm no expert on exhausts or the design of pipework. But somewhere I read - possibly on Steve's website - that the angular ebay ones do not last as long, and cause restrictive turbulance, Steve's properly curved job doesn't. If I find the site again I'll post it.

But there is a much easier way, and I wish I'd done it with the 88 before - Fit a 300TDi turbo/manifold assembly, and use a 300 front pipe. It fits perfectly alongside the Series engine mount, points downwards so is easy to get at, and allows masses of space at the rear next to the footwells to get the air intake in.

Steve Parkers downpipe is the best really - I made up my own from a KwikFit parts bin raid but it never worked particularly well so I bought one of Steve's orginal down pipes for the 90 conversion and modified it, few ago that was. Steve actually came down and looked at it before he designed his own. The original Series exhaust pipe is small and the silencer will restrict the gases getting out of the engine quite alot. It is a completely different design to the 200 I think so may best to change it (or just leave it out).

You cant, the Series exhaust is too small a bore for the TDi, it will strangle it. Your best option is to fit a 300TDi turbo and exhaust manifold assembly, and then run a 300TDi defender system, adjusting as required by cutting and welding.

Hi guys

thanks for all the prompt replies think we will be going for the steve parker system as i have on mine i let him have ago in mine the other day and he was really amazed and said he will go for the full steve parker system.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

1997 disco 1 300 tdi.

You cant, the Series exhaust is too small a bore for the TDi, it will strangle it. Your best option is to fit a 300TDi turbo and exhaust manifold assembly, and then run a 300TDi defender system, adjusting as required by cutting and welding.

Sorry, I meant 2.5P defender. But the situation is the same I belive?

Cheers