Has anyone put a Merc Sprinter engine in a Defender......

Im looking at engine choices for my defender, and i happen to have a Mercedes Sprinter, with the more powerful engine that i was selling rather cheap, then thought maybe i could break it and use the engine for the defender.

Has anyone seen one in a defender before?

If no-one's done it yet, it's about time someone did, unless it just won't fit.

I remember driving the Sprinter my old employers had when they were pretty new on the scene (mid 90's?). Ours had the 5 pot (2.3?) engine. It pulled like a train, right upto illegal speeds, no matter how loaded up it was and very pleasantly quiet too. I thought at the time what a great engine it would be in a LR.

I've no idea about its shape and size, but did consider that its electronics and immobiliser systems could have been a stumbling point for me.

The 316 is quite ok but this is not the 4cyl 2.2cdi. It has the 5cyl 2.7cdi engine. On our sprinters - they are used as a tool and gear waggon - we always were loaded to 3.5to. On one sprinter we had the clutch gone at 30k km - this was the one that was used most time up in the mountains. And there the low torque at low revs was really a problem (this was the engine before they gut twin-turbo). The one I had before (312D) was the best I ever had because of the 2.8 5cyl engine.

Edit: when they were on revs they are quite ok