lift kit

adambowling

Hi

I'm wanting to get either a 2 or 3" lift kit for my disco 1 basically so that it looks better, perfroms better and i can fit bigger tyres.

Is it an easy job to do? And worth doing ourselves?

Can you recommend any decent kits, that aren't stupidly overpriced.

Cheers

if you go more than 2'' you will gat steering & prop problems, sure a few will be along shortly to recommend different types for different reasons,

John

hi, sorry O/T but. barmy brumie, nice 90 iin yur dp. my mate owns A90 JVC. oldest land rover 90 still on the road today. it looks the exact same as that, what reg is it?

B reg 1984 csw, just about to start the rebuilt - 200tdi auto conversion 2 + lift cranked arms etc etc, should keep me busy for a bit ;)

John

I fitted a Terrafirma HD 2" lift kit on to my discovery 1, and found that the disco sat up at the nose and down in the rear. The rear shocks looked like they were at full extention and banged over every bump.

i bought a terrafirma 2" lift kit from stratton4x4 in horncastle lincs for £207, not hard to fit but some bolts can be a right pain if seaized, i had both rear shocker upper mounts seized and rather than snap them i heated them up with a plumbers blowlamp then sprayed some rust off ice freezing spray and the rapid temperature chance freed them off, took about 6 hours to do the lot, front springs are difficult to use spring compressors on as they don't fit in the spring tower with them opposite each other, also best to replace the turret rings as they are only a couple of quid each and it makes life a lot easier with the turret removed. to use larger tyres you'll also need to do the camel cut on the rear arches or you'll bend the bottom corner first time you get the wheel up in the arch. you may or may not get problems with the front prop binding which would need either a wide angle prop or a double jointed prop, up to you if you use castor correction arms too. i've had a 200 and 300 disco and fitted a 2" kit to both without any problems with probs and without castor arms too.

I also found that after lifting my 300Tdi, it started eating rear prop donuts. Sorted it now with a 200Tdi prop, flange and spacer.

How big do want to go on tyres? I have a 1" lift over standard and run 265/75R16 mud terrains, if you go much bigger on tyres you'll have to seriously hack bodywork about even with a 3" lift and you will loose a load of steering lock too.

Steve.

Hi

I'm wanting to get either a 2 or 3" lift kit for my disco 1 basically so that it looks better, perfroms better and i can fit bigger tyres.

Is it an easy job to do? And worth doing ourselves?

Can you recommend any decent kits, that aren't stupidly overpriced.

Cheers

if your doing it for looks so you can fit bigger tyres do a body lift

no problems with castor correction etc and will still drive good on the road

cheaper to do too

downside is its a longer job to do but still not very hard

rob

I've recently purchased a Disco 1, and been looking at the various options for lifting. I've noticed that there are different height increases with the Bearmach HD springs, and from some of the photos that i've seen on the net, some sit far too high. Therefore can anyone recommend which height to go for?

Or are their +2" springs ok? Only thing i've noticed with these is that the catalogue states that they can't be used when towing or load carrying?!

I've recently purchased a Disco 1, and been looking at the various options for lifting. I've noticed that there are different height increases with the Bearmach HD springs, and from some of the photos that i've seen on the net, some sit far too high. Therefore can anyone recommend which height to go for?

Or are their +2" springs ok? Only thing i've noticed with these is that the catalogue states that they can't be used when towing or load carrying?!