LR's in Jamaica?

Disco_Dunk

Greetings all...... I'm off on holiday next week, and was wondering what the likelihood is of finding LR's for hire? anyone been?........ I'm half expecting it to be j**ps only, but with the colonial links, you never know..... they drive on the proper side of the road after all, don't they?

Cheers

Dunk

You can buy a Series in one of the villages for cheaper than it would cost to rent anything more modern. In fact, I know that you can "rent" a local vehicle (somebody's car) quite cheaply. The legal situation is probably not very favourable and you want to get a piece of paper with a signature on it, but if you didn't get in an accident (and even then....) it's nothing that $20 wouldn't buy your way out of.

Most of the rentals will be small non-descript Jap-scrap. Be careful if you are driving about and avoid Kingston like the plague, as well as other more urban centers.

Dont know about Jamica, but there are certainly Land Rover in Cuba

Castro used to have one!

Regards

Leeds

Not many though, you see far more jeeps [willys] & classic yank tanks, such as '57 Buicks, from the pre-revolution era; kept now partly as a kind of cultural heritage, although for practical reasons too [limited cash for new cars]

In Jamaica, you see far more jap carp driving round, + sundry US imports as the US is so close with cheap cars; although it's quite possible there are a few Landies as wot RPR sed.

You're safe driving round kingston as long as you keep your gun in your hand :)

Not many though, you see far more jeeps [willys] & classic yank tanks, such as '57 Buicks, from the pre-revolution era; kept now partly as a kind of cultural heritage, although for practical reasons too [limited cash for new cars]

True Mark. There are even restored Fords from 1920's runing around as taxis.

Price of Chevys from 50's are amazing. A beat up Chevy (even by Cuban standards) from 50's goes for 6-8,000 US$ A restored one is worth 15-20,000 US$!!

Its a good place for spotting clasic cars.

Apart from cash problem the Cuban government also has input into who can buy cars or not!!

Regards

Leeds

Yes there are Land Rovers in Jamaica Even JA's favourite son drove one 'Me Man Bob'

Where are you staying?

I have only just joined this Forum and cant upload photos but I have a couple of LR pics I took on some of our trips.

Went on a LR safari from Chukka Cove to Nine Mile the Birth and resting place of Bob Marley also if you visit Bobs home in Kingston you will see his 109 series no photos allowed but I did manage to get one shooting from the hip.

Have a good holiday I have been there 3 times and could never tire of the Island pure paradise