Multiple Com Ports

Simon119

Found this last night a thought i might be of use to people on here

I have just started using MM and PC Navigator on my netbook when out and about in the landy. The problem i had was that i could only use the GPS dongle i've got with either or program as the GPS comes in through a com port. This software creates virtual com ports, you tell it what com port the GPS is coming in through and then add as many virtual com ports as you want. Then set the different programs to look for the virtual com ports and hey presto, 1 GPS dongle working on multiple programs.

Hopefully the link works, i'm sure those of you know about torrents will be able to get hold of it that way, or you can buy it from the site.

My link

Hope some of you find this useful

Simon

P.S. Mods i had a search for this topic but couldn't find anything, if it's been covered before please merge with original thread or whatever you see fit.

Its a great programme and for about £11 for the basic version makes running a GPS soooo much easier.Plus,as you have found out you can run more than one app. I regularly have open Garmin Mapsource (GPSGATe also converts a NMEA signal to a Garmin signal!), Fugawi for 1:50000, Memory Map for 1:25000 mapping, and Google Earth for aerial photo coverage!

I've been using GPSgate for some time in the way mentioned.

You can also use it with bluetooth to re-transmit gps data which I sometimes use with a PDA to run it as an electronic compass. Tomtom has a compass on the screen but PC Navigator does not.

Pretty geeky really

Regards

Richard